Esquif customer service ROCKS

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I'd say go with the L'Edge.. a few freak occurances I believe. Consider all the L'edges out there and how hard they are being beaten on and THEN consider the number of broken ones.. I'd say they are doing very good. Its a great boat to paddle.
bigspencer07
Pain Boater

Post by bigspencer07 »

Could possibly be a place for the ol' saddle glued to thin layer of PE that will extend to, and up, the sides..either glued there or fastened to hull sides and/or rails...somewhat like flatwater design junction of seat and hull sides and/or gunwales. That is, if thin PE will shape relatively easily? (Have never tried to heat & bend)....just glued to hull floor before. Would take a little time:roll:, but seems as though it can possibly help some hull floor issues. Keep us informed SW!....I'm another one who's thinking about buying one.
$.01
Steve
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

[quote="Wiggins"]Lappie,

What have you heard? Is there a patern to where or how the boats are crackong?

I think it would be great to have some one from Esquif to comment about it!

And SmurfW, Do you think that A class 4 like where you split your boat is consider abused? Do you think that every one who own a L'Èdge abuse it, even consodering that it came out fairly late into the season!?!

I have a friend that have a Prelude(Piranha) and I could say it is abuse some what and it is still going strong after a few years!!

Like I asked before, is there different quality in PE material? Do you have to be carefull with the "cooking" temperature/time?

I realy think that some one from Esquif could comment on it and maybe answer some of the question. For working in the outdoor industry, and dealing with waranty issues, with different company and products, it's not because a company replace the faulty product, that it is a great company or product, if they just repalce it with the same product that will end up in the same condition over and over again, mayb they should adress the problem differently than just replacing the product by the same thing.
p.s. just playing the devils advocat...
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Lappie, Devils advocates piss me off actually. You can't expect a company to come on a public forum and get into a pissing match with people who are just going to flame them in the spirits of being a devils advocate. Esquif is a/THE top notch company producing canoes and they are improving their product at every step. Mine was a fluke, I strongly believe that. Their customer service is top notch. Would I buy a L'Edge or other model boat from them again? Of course!
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

FWIW - there are a number of manufacturers (Esquif among them) that have made a point NOT to post on this forum, just to support if financially for the good of the community. I have let them know it would be OK for them to post on occasion, and they have decided to let their product, and the folks that paddle it, speak for themselves. Seems to be working for them:)
Keep the C!
Adam
philinasheville
C Guru

I agree (Esquif Rocks)

Post by philinasheville »

I had a similar experience and Esquif stood by their product. They will get my business next time I need a new canoe!

Phil
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

Smurfwarrior wrote:Lappie, Devils advocates piss me off actually. You can't expect a company to come on a public forum and get into a pissing match with people who are just going to flame them in the spirits of being a devils advocate. Esquif is a/THE top notch company producing canoes and they are improving their product at every step. Mine was a fluke, I strongly believe that. Their customer service is top notch. Would I buy a L'Edge or other model boat from them again? Of course!
i think it would be wise to acknowledge a problem, and then tell prospective customers that it's been addressed, and the new boats won't break within six months in the same place. knowing that several already have, i wouldn't buy one unless i knew it was "improved". "letting the boats speak for themselves" in this case says one thing: "craaaack!" so what's the fix? thicker bottom? different cook/cool time? how many class 4 runs before it breaks? i love their boats, and have owned several, but these are valid questions.
Joe
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

Several?
I've heard of 2 and rocky rivers at that. Bottom line anything can break.This is a new boat, new lines and it takes some time to see how a product holds up. I am sure Esquif is taking note of circumstances that have lead to the crack and who knows maybe even want to see the boats themselves to see what they could learn from them.

Rember they are trying to balance out weight vs durability. They could make a boat that would never crack but then we may not want to paddle it.

I think it is a great indication that Esquif has replaced the boat with no questions asked
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

sure they did the right thing replacing the boat, but how annoying is it to redo the outfitting?
Joe
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Yukon- good points.
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

speculation is useless. seriously, what was the fix?
Joe
ESP
C Guru

Post by ESP »

Anything built by man will break. No manufacturing process is 100% consistant. The issue at hand is that Esquif built a good product that their customers had asked for. They are now obviously standing by their product. Hopefully they are doing the R&D necessary to ID defects in the design and/or manufacturing process to avoid problems in the future. It is in their best interest to do so and I am sure they are fully aware of the consequences. Finally, it is only by innuendo that the crack on this boat is anything other than a fluke. It is unfair to everyone concerned to fabricate an issue when there really isn't a problem. 'Just sayin.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

RARE FLUKE.... sorry that theory doesn't meet with your approval Gumpy. If it was anything but a fluke, it wouldn't be such a rare event. Don't think they are sitting on their thumbs, they arn't.
Gary B
Pain Boater

Post by Gary B »

My ledge is an early one #14. Guess I have to keep my fingers crossed :(
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

ESP- exactly!