Savage Skeeter

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

johnd
C Guru

Savage Skeeter

Post by johnd »

I am thinking of buying a Savage Skeeter. I weigh 250 pounds, am six-foot-two, and generally run Class 3-4 rivers out west. Any thoughts on this boat. I paddle a Viper 12 right now.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

John,
I went through three vipers myself, great boats. sorry i don't know about the skeeter though. Hey, it's good to see another canoeist on california whitewater!
Larry
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

Skeeter

Post by billcanoes »

I think you would be able to paddle the boat, but it would be very tippy. You would be near the Max weight limit before taking on any water. I owned a Skeeter and didn't recommend it to a 240lber. I think 220-230 is max before taking on water. I'm 195. From what I hear the heavier paddlers scoop the seat out to lower the center of gravity adding stability.

Bill
nathan
c

Post by nathan »

I am gonna have to agree that you may not want to try to make the jump from your Viper to the Skeeter. I paddled a Skeeter last year at 175 lbs and found it tippy. I have paddled the Viper and found it a lot more stable. My friend even tried it once and he was way over the weight range (250+) and didn't care for the initial lack of stability that it offers. Good luck though with whatever you decide.
The best boaters in the world are C boaters