Gus Convertions

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Gus Convertions

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

As I think I've mentioned, I have a Jefe, it's frelled, with a 2' and growing crack in the hull... the boat is reaching the point of being unviable.

Now I have the option of getting a new Jefe or Jefe Grande Hull; or getting a Drop-Zone factory C1 from Big Dog; OR I might be able to lay my hands on an as yet unpaddled Gus, I've heard nothing but good things about the Gus; but that's all buttboaters; do they convert well or would I be better sticking to what I know?

Opinions (which don't involve me not having a C1 and just paddling my Prelude to death) Please.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

jefe grande is awesome what are you looking for? I think the gus would have some cool aspects but i think the grande will take better care of you on the steeps. speed im sure the gus wins. get both;-)
BigMike
C Guru

Post by BigMike »

what do you weigh?

and what's it for?
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I'm 87kg, and it's intended as a supplement to/replacement for my ailing Jefe, which has to be used creeking in N. Wales, paddling in the alps, and most probably Norway in the next year or two.

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
BigMike
C Guru

Post by BigMike »

An everest then.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Mike, you have PM;

I'm still looking for info on the Gus; I might see if my friend who owns one will let me take it to the pool and improvise a convertions with a block of foam, a roof rack strap and a beachball

Louie

Post by Louie »

My son Chad converted a Gus and liked it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvnBcBC6 ... re=channel

Please not how he didn't use his kilt, I guess if you think it looks smooth he is in a C1 and if it looks rough he is in an open boat. Sorry Josh I had to throw Phil a bone
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Louie wrote:Please not how he didn't use his kilt, I guess if you think it looks smooth he is in a C1 and if it looks rough he is in an open boat.
Good one Louie, what a timing...

There is a whole lot more footage of Chad with its GUS on PLG's channel where you can see even more of how the boat handles.

It always amazed me looking at these vids how much Chad looked stern heavy and still, the boat was handling just great. But that might just be from my own cross-eyed view... or the paddler's so good it could just do with any setup. Actually probably a bit of both... Oh and that log move... Wow just awesome! 8)

I always thought the GUS was somehow the Remix's ancestor. Same type of design with a full volume creeker-type bow and longer stern for added speed... I say if the price is good go for it!
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

The price was so good I couldn't refuse. I'll post details at some stage once I have the boat.