Looks rough!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Will footage/photo's of an OC1 running a hard rapid always look rougher than a C1 on the same thing?

Yes
42%
No
47%
Define Hard!
11%

Total votes: 19

Louie

Post by Louie »

Grumpy I don't care what I look like, I am just here for the adrinlin high
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

i paddle(d) both open and decked and found decked to be much harder than open.
but that was then.
I have adjusted (and found better boats) and now I can't imagine paddling an open boat.
it's just too much work. too many lame, manky sneak lines, and omg, the frustration of getting swamped by 2'waves in class one wave trains :wink:
to each his own. props to all you open boaters... but honestly, paddling the boat is not a big deal. it's your stubbornness and determination that impresses me. definately a level above c1, on that level :wink:
Larry
Louie

Post by Louie »

If you are gettin swamped by 2' waves in a class one wave train you need to be in a Kayak
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

Larry Horne wrote: the frustration of getting swamped by 2'waves in class one wave trains :wink:
running dry is part of the challenge! i remember getting to the bottom of pure screaming hades on the lg and seeing that pete martin had maybe an inch of water in his maxim. it can be done.

and louie- i'm not talkin about looking good so much as doing it well. some guys crash & brace their way on down, and some guys tear it up! but when you do it well in an open boat, no kayak can compete with that.
Joe
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

if you've never been frustrated by in an insignificant wave filling your boat ...wow! i really am impressed.

running big drops and staying dry is really great and all, but seven years of working to stay dry in every, little, wave train got old for me. Now I have fun hitting the big crashing waves down the middle. :D That's just me.
Larry
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

I think yes, most open boat vids look rough, most probably because:

- It is hard to do (we all know that one)
- There aren't that many open boater around VS yakers
- They all (we all) like to push limits all the time and solely looks on top of their game.

Now that's just a tendency and you can still find a lot of cool open boat vids out there, where dooley and others looks great and smooth running the large steaming pile of dog doo. Seen this one and that other so many times... just awesome.

Now why was that poll a farce again? I just love silly stuff...

I love my big open boats for throwing the kids and the gears in for multi-days trips and enjoy the extra challenge inherent to it.

But for playboating gimme a kilt and i'm in.
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

yeah, i know what you mean. and when i'm in my c1 i do feel as though i have more precise control.
Joe
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

just watched the video and gotta say it doesn't look rough to me at all.
dooley's got a fantastic aggressive paddling style. tearin it up.
Larry
BigMike
C Guru

Post by BigMike »

What do you paddle Larry?
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

large burn and a wheelboy.
paddled viper 11 & 12 open boats
Larry
BigMike
C Guru

Post by BigMike »

how'd you find the burn? i have a hercules and a fink.
Louie

Post by Louie »

Well I am sure it nice to know if you blow your line it will be OK because your Kilt will keep the water out. However if you can do Lost Paddle from to to bottom without havin to dump your boat that is boat control, good use of body English and the ability to read water. One of the first things the butt boater learn is that when they do blow their lines and they crash into a hole or wave they wanted to miss, all they have to do is look confident and act like they ment to do that.

Chad and I were talkin last night at dinner and he said "well Dooley says there is a lot of stuff he won't run I will because of the boat fillin up with water" however you put someone Dooley size in a full bagged and foamed out spanish fly and heck how much water can you fill it in with 20 30 gallons that is just another 160 to 240 extra pounds. Keep in mind also that is Louie's C1'ers son talkin I ain't never heard Dooley say that....he did elected not to put on on the Natahalla cascades at like 14oo cfs, but the buttboater swimin the whole thing while we watched might have had sumthin to do with that.
golder
CBoats Addict

Post by golder »

can't say i blame him. thats a lot of water in that ditch.
ain't nothin but water, rocks, and gravity
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

threads like this make open boaters look dumb I wish everybody would put a little thought into there post so we all dont look like asss
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

oh brother.
Larry