Hahn C-1 Variations

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ccwalbridge
c

Hahn C-1 Variations

Post by ccwalbridge »

The Hahn pictured in your "museum" is the Hahn Munich. In 1970 John Sweet brought it over from Europe with the blessing of its designer, Paul Hahn. At one time there were a half-dozen molds and many hundreds of home-built boats.

It is a very fast and stable design. An S-Glass/Kevlar Hahn Munich built by Dave Demaree was used by Jamie McEwan to win a bronze medal in the '72 Olympics in Munich. Perception's "Warwoman" C-1 was a Hahn Munich. This hull was the basis of Perception's HD-1 open canoe; John Sweet and John Berry made similar boats. On a typical early 70's river trip the Hahns outnumbered kayaks 5-1.

The Hahn-Sweet-Hahn was John Sweet modification of the Munich Hahn. He simplified the deck for easier layups, lowered the high points on the bow and stern, and increased the rocker in the front and back. I believe this is the "Modified Hahn" in the Millbrook Boats catalogue. I bought the mold from John Sweet and still paddle this design, with the ends shortened and rounded off. I've had almost 40 years in Hahn Munich and Sweet-Hahn's and really love them!

The Morrison Hahn was a modification of a lower volume boat that was first seen in 1973. Angus Morrison, #2 C-1 slalomist in the country behind Jamie McEwan, increased the rocker at both ends. Both the regular and modified versions have become known as "Morrison Hahns".

I don't knowe what happened to Paul Hahn, but his generosity benefitted a whole generation of single-blade paddlers!
jim gross
CBoats Addict

Nice

Post by jim gross »

Nice historical view Charlie. I hear you have a Hahn student out there with you. Too bad you couldn't turn him on to that Selway I gave you a long time ago.

Jim
kabuki_blaze
C Guru

Post by kabuki_blaze »

Yeah. I am enjoying the Hahn ride so far, I have a project boat now!

Thanks Charlie.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

:o Charlie, I started out in a Hahn, and what amazes me is how you were able to get your Hahn stuck in the Watauga. I still re-read your AW account now and then, but without pictures, it's not comprehensible.
tennOC
Pain Boater

Post by tennOC »

I believe the Morrison Hahn was the first boat witnessed to sink the stern on a turn and could well be the father of modern playboating.
BrownDog Boats- "Bring the Dog"
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Thank you Ive just started research The "Hahn"
Im thinking of starting to c-1 and someone mentioned to try a hahn. Its good to get some background.

Im a 230l Lbs, 6ft wide footed indivdual , and t seams theres dffrent models??
Proud Yankee
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

TennOC, I cannot imagine anyone sinking the stern of a Hahn. Maybe certain waves could climb on the stern, but the only other way would be to carry a fat monkey who could run back there and stomp on the stern at the right moment.

Almost certainly it was the first MAX slalom c-1s, probably paddled by Hearn, Lugbill, et al, that pioneered stern squirts.
kabuki_blaze
C Guru

Post by kabuki_blaze »

TonyB wrote:Thank you Ive just started research The "Hahn"
Im thinking of starting to c-1 and someone mentioned to try a hahn. Its good to get some background.

Im a 230l Lbs, 6ft wide footed indivdual , and t seams theres dffrent models??
TonyB, I have one if you ever want to try it out, I think you would like the Hahn, add one to your esteemed collection! Charlie has the mold, I keep thinking about getting one made..
Rodney Flynn

Hahn C-1 Varitions

Post by Rodney Flynn »

I am going to try and complicate the history for this boat given by Charlie. Before I start let be clear that Charlie KNOWS allot more about the subject. I gave Charlie a "Flynn" version of this boat (sitting in my attic) a few years ago to add to his collection. I was a Junior C-1ner back then (early 70's). The boat that I gave to Charlie was based on the Hahn with some Lettman thrown in, we named it "the Minuteman". It was designed by myself and Dave Yost. The first version had at least 2 boats made. One for me and one for Jamie Mckewan. Jamie brought my father, Carl Flynn, some experimental cloth from. Dupont called X-something. Turned out to be later called Kevlar. We built him a boat and used me to set up the outfitting. I think he used that boat in the worlds. My family is close friends With Dave and his wife, Mimi Demaree, and I know he was building boats same time as us. I just cannot recall the order in which these boats were built. Anyway, the version I had was doing well against all the up and coming Juniors (the Hearns and the Lugbills, and Kent Ford ) till I stopped competeing. Needless to say, we know how these gentleman did in the Whitewater C-1 world and beyond. That original boat design has a lot of history behind it and I could see some sort of resurrection as it would make an excellant croosover from OC-1. Thanks for the memories. Rod
madmike
C Guru

Lettman

Post by madmike »

Funny that you mentioned the Lettman. I bought one this summer thinking it was a Han. Weird cockpit, with a little "but" shaped bench seat integral with the combing. This thing is from the early '70s, and has no scratches. Can not get in and out, even on my lawn. I am gonna cut out that bench, and outfit it with a foam seat.
adamin
CBoats.net Staff

Post by adamin »

if it is a thwart unbolt it (or cut it out). If it is shaped (like a Wenonah seat) see if you can put a hinge on the back- the slickest seat I've ever seen was Bob Putnams in his slalom boat, and that was the setup.

I'll also add the "purple"boat is definitely a Sweet - Hahn, and was made by John Berry in Riparius in '78.
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Thanks kabuki Jim brought down a HAhn and I had a ball in it, definatley got to add one to the quiver. Only prob was I was kinda paranoid hitting rocks, jim told me afterward I shouldnt have woried so much. The cockpit rim didnt like to hold on to the skirt, so got a little wet when I rolleed it.
Proud Yankee
tennOC
Pain Boater

Post by tennOC »

ezwater wrote:TennOC, I cannot imagine anyone sinking the stern of a Hahn. Maybe certain waves could climb on the stern, but the only other way would be to carry a fat monkey who could run back there and stomp on the stern at the right moment.

Almost certainly it was the first MAX slalom c-1s, probably paddled by Hearn, Lugbill, et al, that pioneered stern squirts.
:) EZ you're too easy, 'twas a lame attempt at humor, guess I'll go back to lurking. I liked the fat monkey solution though, that was good. Would I have to share my beer? :o
BrownDog Boats- "Bring the Dog"