Oswaygo New York in April?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Louie

Oswaygo New York in April?

Post by Louie »

Are the rivers still frozen and are there any rivers there?
madmike
C Guru

Oswego, NY

Post by madmike »

No ice yet. not far from the Black, Fish, Beaver, and Salmon Rivers.
Louie

Post by Louie »

I am askin about next April ? When does the river unice ?
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

July.
Louie

Post by Louie »

Kinda what I figured.
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

Better pick up that dry suit Smerda's selling.

JKaz
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I 'spect Louie already glows in the dark.
Louie

Post by Louie »

Proberly not a full suit, just a hood and robe.
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

The rivers will be thawing out by april +/- a few days but will be COLD compared to the warm water you have in your neck of the woods
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Depending on when the thaw happens you may have some choice runs. Nearby is the Salmon and Black, which may or may not be running. If it IS running I recommend the Moose for you - particularly the Bottom Moose. I would be curious to hear how it compares to what you enjoy down south. Further afield is the Hudson (3-4 hour drive), though at that distance you may was well head up towards the Ottawa, depending on it's ice conditions at that point.

There is also the Independence, Fish, and Beaver.

I'd recommend picking up the "New York Exposed: The Whitewater State" by Dennis Squires - both volumes contain some choice runs.

Alden's 'Let it Rain' is also a good choice, though I suspect Dennis' volumes are more your style (no offense Alden).
Keep the C!
Adam
Louie

Post by Louie »

Moose, Independance, Otter, and Beaver I've done. the small ones I really liked
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Definitely get the Whitewater Outlaw books. I'm not sure where you can get them these days, but I suspect there are some around in local shops still.

On the Moose, each section has a very different character. The Middle is fun for most anyone, even first timers, at least if they portage Nelson Falls (class IV). The Lower is pretty serious, the Bottom is very serious. I've yet to run the second half of the bottom in a C1, mostly due to hiding out on the Hudson these days and not paddling enough. I did run rubber down it one summer, which was a blast (middle and bottom).
Keep the C!
Adam
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

rafted the bottom? how'd you do at agers? crystal? :o
Joe
Louie

Post by Louie »

OK but if the thaw comes early more stuff like the Independance, Otter? From the Nuclear plant at Oswago what is it like 2 or 3 hours?
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Agers you just need enough speed so when the raft hits and tacos it opens back up right side up.... Funniest ever was a bunch of guides - no one felt like paddling up to the edge, as we are usually all in back, and wanted to see what it was like. No speed = flip the raft over....

We didn't tend to take guests over Agers usually though.

Crystal wasn't so bad, as long as you made it through the horseshoe still in the boat. Needless to say we ran the river right line.... We (or at least I) never ran beyond Crystal.

The worse was actual Shur Form - you DO NOT want to be out of the boat there. Between the under cut rock, rooster tail, and gouged out rock the main current runs in you can get beat up pretty bad there.

There is an old Whitewater Challengers promo poster around (and brochure) with a raft running Crystal - I'm bow guiding in that one.

I'm not much of a creek boater Louie, your best bet is to pick up the books I mentioned - they will have all you can dream of, and more....
Keep the C!
Adam