What kind of shoes for footpeg usage

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Mikey B
CBoats Addict

What kind of shoes for footpeg usage

Post by Mikey B »

Okay, after an excruciating day with my feet on the footpegs I'm curious what others do? I don't know if it's a specific problem with the way my toes/feet are or not. Yesterday, after paddling most of the day, the toenails on my big toes are creased about 1/4" down like they were bent back. I have a hard time using pegs comfortably as my big toes were broken when younger and don't really bend much anymore. I try and have the my feet against the pegs with the tips of my toes resting against the hull bottom if that makes sense. Anyhoo, it seems like my toes really don't like that position. I'm currently wearing NRS Attack shoes. I'm wondering if a stiffer toed shoe/boot would be better? Any ideas/suggestions?
Thanks,
Mikey B
Mike Gardner
Pain Boater

Post by Mike Gardner »

I like Keens for their stiff soles. Try making some shin pads to take the pressure off your feet
Mike
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

I use wading boots. I like there ankle support along with the toe cap.

This topic came up not long ago and there were strong opinions that any substantial footwear is too risky as far as foot entrapment.

A fair number of folks seem to keep their feet flat and under the pegs.
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Cadster you are right, but this discussion was specific to C1. Wearing shoes in them you risk foot entrapment. You also don't use pegs in C1 usually. Big boats are another business and I am not sure the boat that topic was started about...

I like my neoprene river booties as they provide some support to the whole feet I find, which reduces pressure points and pain. Their sole is stiff enough too. The are quite cheap (15$) so I wear them without closing the zipper, that way if they get stuck my feet could slip out.
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Mikey, It was good paddling the LY with you last weekend.
I would caution against sticking toes underneath the footpegs. It hurts if when going over rocks and the Hull deflects upwards, pinching toes. It might eveb aggravate your problem.
One thing worth trying might be to glie some foam on the bottom of the hull under the toe area to give your toes some cushioning and to spread out the pressure on your toes. Moving the entier footpeg assembly might help as well.
I never used footpegs in my Prelude. They are all the way back, and the lap belt holds me in. Feet are flat on the bottom. That's what works for me.
As far as footwear, the Salomon Techamphibian works well for me in the Outrage, where I use footpegs.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

There was discussion here about a foot entrapment in the river bed due to large, river boot type shoe.
bassbug
c

Post by bassbug »

I've been through several shoes on my OC-1 and the most comfortable I have found is the Keen Cimarron - recommended by another OC-1 friend Mike.

The cimmaron has a substantial toe which was my complaint with other shoes/booties I tried. Also it has a reinforced mesh with a closed heel (not a strap). Thus it keeps out larger stuff in the water, though no sand. The sole is substantial, but still slick on wet rocks.

Here is a link:
http://www.amazon.com/KEEN-Cimarron-Wat ... sbs_shoe_1
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I wear Simms flyfishing boots. Check out their complete selection at http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/xdpy/sg/BOOTS

They provide good support for bracing against your pegs. They also drain well and provide good traction and protection when scouting.

They no longer make the ones I wear, but the Headwaters model is pretty close.

Don't get felt soles. Those have been shown to spread invasive species.
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Boots/shoes for pegs

Post by Mikey B »

Thanks for the input guys!
I really think putting some foam back there is a great idea. Then to look at some of these shoes in person :D
I only really use the footpegs while in the Taureau and like my feet flat in my C-1, so I'm thinking different boots for different boats :)

Martin, I'm glad I got a chance to meet and paddle with you before you head out west. I'm in absolute awe that you could paddle all day Saturday in the Acrobat!!!!! Impressive to say the least.

Mikey
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Mikey, what surprised me even more is that I could still walk after spending the entier day in the Acrobat...

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

..the great gonzo is heading out west?
Larry
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

That's right...

... in 2 weeks I will be leaving The Centre of the Universe(s) behind me and move to Kamloops BC 8) .

TGG!