and the bad guys paddled black kayaks!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TommyC1
C Guru

and the bad guys paddled black kayaks!

Post by TommyC1 »

flipping the boobtube whilst getting my supper yesterday when I see a guy in an old C1 (maybe a Hann?) running some pretty gnarly water. Cool! Cuts to a scene with badguys talking about "stoppng him at the bridge" cuts to the bridge where the sherriff is hanging nets across the river! Here comes our heroic C1'er. He flips, slides under the nets, rolls back up and he's off. Cut to a park along the river with lots of cheering townsfolk as up comes our paddler. Cut to our paddler pulling out his boat in dry bluejeans and running shoes and getting arrested by the sherrif for running without a permit. My God! It's James Brolin. I didn't know he paddled. 8)
Next comes lots of lousy dialog and story line with Daisy Duke as the female reporter. Then at the end, a wonderful chase scene with Brolin and DD in a C2 being chased by 3 goons in black Mirages (early perception yaks) and the uberbaddie in a black C1(also maybe a Hann?).
Some nice footage of cranking water and decent paddling along with some wild west on the water heroics by Brolin.
I think the movie was called "White Water Rebel" and was shot on the Kern River. No idea who the real paddlers were. I'm going to try to rent it so I can fast forward through the "story" and see the cool paddling again.

Tommy
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

AHA!

Post by Sir Adam »

I rememeber that scene from years ago, but forgot it was a CBoater! Mind you, when I saw it I don't remember knowing what a CBoat was.... :oops: . Maybe that's what triggered this strange "addiction" :o .

If that IS the movie, please confirm it-I'd like to rent it too!
Keep the C!
Adam
aldenb

boatin

Post by aldenb »

ive heard of that too. ill have to rent that. that upside down thing is a nice move! I wonder who the real boater was . . .

you know, someday they're going to wake up and do a movie version of "The Last River" (about the Tsang Po). And, if they want to be true to life, they are going to need a C-1 stuntman . . .

Alden
NEOC Slalom Rules
C Guru

Post by NEOC Slalom Rules »

Alden,
See if you can get everyone to agree to the move in Railroad on the Esopus this weekend. At the Open Boat Nationals only rodeo OC1s entered the X-class and they all boofed that big rock that Smerda had craned in to eliminate the possibility of all OCs being sucked into an extemely sticky hole. You can lead the pack in flipping on the entry to gate 19 and rolling to your offside to get a good line to river right and the small eddy that you must make for upstream gate 20 (if Kaz hangs the course I'm imagining). Got that dry ice prototype ready for testing to smoke on down the course?
Now I'll have to get that movie as well.
Pat
Open Boat/Open Mind
Tim

Post by Tim »

I saw that the other night too... Unfortunately I jus t caught the story, and no cool paddling, so I changed the channel. Might be worth a rent
Cone Bone
C Guru

White Water Rebels

Post by Cone Bone »

I looked the movie up on imdb.com, and it is indeed called White Water Rebels, a made for TV movie released in 1983. It's not available from netflix.com, or at my local shops. If anyone locates an online source, I'd like to hear about it.
Brettal
C Guru

Post by Brettal »

Well, I just bid on an ebay auction for it (the ONLY auction that came up when I searched! :o ); only place I could find it. As such, I may just treat it as abandonware for anyone who wants to cover the cost of blank VHSes and shipping (couple bucks, max).
Brettal
C Guru

Post by Brettal »

Also, IMDB's full credits for the movie list the paddlers (near the bottom, under Stunts) for those interested in figuring out who they are.
Cone Bone
C Guru

I'm in

Post by Cone Bone »

I'd like a copy. Let me know where and when to send $.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Ditto!

Post by Sir Adam »

Whitewater paddling AND Catherine Bach in a C2 :o ...definitely one for the video collection :D
Keep the C!
Adam
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

video fun

Post by NZMatt »

Hey I'd like a copy of that too if poss....let me know when you get it

Matt
NZMatt

Hmmm....new country, new rivers...-
Still not enough c-boaters....
Brettal
C Guru

Post by Brettal »

I'll post a new topic when I get it, assuming I win the auction. Then I'll set up the VCRs and make a day of it and doing laundry or something. That there was a quick response :D
Space Canoe
C Guru

WELL....

Post by Space Canoe »

that is the movie, the Kern is the river, and I'll bet my guru, Tom Johnson had something to do with it. I'll check when I get back into town and update whatever has been learned by then.
Ric Taylor