Looks like the gauntlet has been thrown down

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Jim P
C Guru

Looks like the gauntlet has been thrown down

Post by Jim P »

K boaters talkin smack about a tandem day at

http://baltimorecanoeclub.org/smf/index ... ic=6382.45

"It looks like we might have to change the name of the trip again.
It looks like some scirby one bladed tandem open boaters want in on the action.
See what I mean? It is just not safe to go into the water anymore.
Open boaters dont bathe so evertime they flip a oil slick appears.
I dont know, what do you all think??
Someone come up with a name for this trip.
Maybe? OOOHH my God what is that smell tandomoniom weekend??
Kinda has a nice ring.

Paddy OOHH I know if they come I will be wearing my nose plugs Hammy"

Since we were not exclusive on round one (we had one K2) it looks like its time to set up T2! They are talking about June 7th

Paul - care to organize this year? Perhaps we can even teach them how to spell Tandemonium.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Well Tan-dam-ation. Have to think about this one. Looks like another original idea from sitting on one's brains!

I'm up for another Tandemonium (OC2s) or its evil spawn Tandemation (C2s)!

Anyone else interested?
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
cmnypny
CBoats Addict

Post by cmnypny »

Well ... hmmm .... ok here goes.

I almost had to pick up a couple of the dyanimc duos (dual white water kayak) to bring back to a club in Canada on the back end of my ALF trip.

That is no longer happening as other arrangements have been made.

But in the original coordination email to my buddy with a copy to EJ I asked the following question:
I just looked at the specs for the boat ... still can't quite understand why you need four paddle blades to paddle something that is only 12 feet long.

I only use one blade for my 14 foot boat
Never received a reply for that particular question.

Maybe you can post a similiar question up on the board mentioned above as a slapp with the glove :o
Blog: http://cmnypny.blogspot.com/
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmnypny/sets/
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)
Walsh
CBoats Addict

Re: Looks like the gauntlet has been thrown down

Post by Walsh »

Jim P wrote: Perhaps we can even teach them how to spell Tandemonium.
Looks they changed their minds again (what did you expect from paddlers who constantly go through boat designs like they are women's shoes) and are calling it 'Tandem Palooza.' Though the name is certainly awkward to pronounce, I think it's appropriate, as butt boaters are uniquely suited to put the 'dumb' back in 'tandem' and the 'loser' in 'paloosa.'

So, on June 7 we have Tandumb Fo'Losers. How do we best respond? My personal preference would be to show up to the aforementioned event and outpaddle the yakkers (provided they pick a river better suited to carnage than the Cheat) and then hold Tandemonium II on the LY later in the summer. Invite the K-2s and R-2s, and teach them how to party after we finish teaching them how to paddle.

This is probably a low point in interest for tomfoolery on the far horizon, since the chicanery of Louiefest is immediately at hand, but let's keep the conversation going.
FURZTROCKEN!
Jim P
C Guru

Post by Jim P »

way too funny John!
Walsh
CBoats Addict

Post by Walsh »

From the overwhelming response, it looks like Tandemonium II will consist solely of me in my Probe, with Jack Daniels paddling bow. :cry:
FURZTROCKEN!
bambam
C Guru

Post by bambam »

Tut, tut, Cap'n Walsh. There be interest. It takes time for the communication to make its rounds.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Okay - I've been out of town and now that I'm back lets see....

What is the interest level? Who would be game for doing a weekend of 2ing?

Where - I'm assuming the LY since that lends itself to the event .. but open for other options!

When - time of year (assuming a LF summer weekend)?

Lets get some feed back and go from there! Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Jon
C Guru

Post by Jon »

What and where is the LY?
What kinds of boats are we talking here - Captions?
What is a LF summer weekend?

What kind of carnage? Two years ago at ALF there was a couple running (not too succesfully) waterfalls. Looked like fun, but my partner WOULD NOT be amused. (and I would be sleeping outside for a long time!)
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Jon,

The LY is the Lower Yougheigheny in Ohiopyle PA:
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/conte ... il_id_1687_

Boats like a Caption should be a lot of fun on the LY.
My guess is that LF means low flow. The LY is still fun at lower flows.

Most carnage on the LY is swims after flips on waves or in holes.
The LY is, at summer levels, very manageable , I have run it in my squirt boat without getting thrashed.
The only falls on the LY is Ohiopuyle Falls which is above the regular put-in for the LY and only legal to run on a few days a year anyway (but fun, if running falls is your thing).

PAC,

I might be in as well, pending on the date. Only gotta finds someone who is willing to paddle bow in the Noah!

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
jnorto01
C Guru

Tandamonium II

Post by jnorto01 »

I'm up for it. Just got to get the date on the calender. Probably good to do it in July or August when nothin else will be running. Which will be also a good thing (read lower flow) for all of us "occasional" tandam paddlers who will be busy trying not to create a carnage fest :lol:

Jim
Walsh
CBoats Addict

Elimination

Post by Walsh »

I propose a process of elimination: interested parties post up dates in the July/August timeframe that DON'T work. Then we try to make everybody happy. Special priority given to slalom races and river festivals.

I would really like to avoid July 25-26.
FURZTROCKEN!
Blast
C Boater

Post by Blast »

I have a Blast and don't get it out much. Great excuse to.
Anytime in June/July...I'm out of school.
David
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

The great Gonzo is correct the LY (lower yough) is in Southwestern PA running thru Ohiopyle, PA (for goggle searches).
Pretty much every kind of boat is good to go here with the river rated a class II-III. I've taken down OC2s and C2s with kids in them.
LF is Low Flow and that would be normal levels during the summer weekends of anywhere from 1'8" to 2'2". Not too pushy and not creating bad swimming conditions (just in case). Only a couple rapids might cause some issues (Dimple and Rivers End) but they can portaged if need be. There are sneak routes and hero lines for those interested.
We'll try to stay away from the Over the Falls Race weekend since I've only been able to.... ah...er talk one other paddler into C2ing it with me. But that is subject to change if others really want to go huck a friendly 16'er.
The only real issue is the need for lauch permits ($) and bus tokens to get up out of the river (more $). So we'd have to do some reservation planning.
Let me know what works and we can start to plan . Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Riverscout
C Boater

scirby one bladed tandem open boater

Post by Riverscout »

I would be the scirby one bladed tandem open boater that Mr. Paddy OOHH of the Greater Baltimore Canoe (KAYAK) Club is speaking of. Having been around this club for quite some time and spending many Sunday nights at their roll sessions this winter, I decided I would like to participate in the club activities more that I have in the past. I inquired about the Top Duo Challenge and informed them that I would be interested in the trip and would paddle tandem, but would not lower my standards to a seated position with a double bladed training stick. I guess they figured I would carry everyone's lunch or provide additional entertainment so I was accepted onto the trip. I have offered others in the club tandem canoes and C2's but no takers at this point.

It is my goal this season to put the Canoe back in GBCC!! If anyone here is in the area and can help with my effort let me know. I have taught one of their younger members to roll c-1 and she just bought a hull to convert.

PS...PAC - If I make it to Over the Falls, I would be more than happy to lead the bow of a tandem boat over the falls.

Pete