Hudson Armada:)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Hudson Armada:)

Post by Sir Adam »

Yes, as the days get shorter, and the trees (or at least leaves) start to turn funny colors, thoughts turn to certain things....

One of which is hopefully the "almost but not quite" annual Hudson Armada.

Right now we have a VERY tentative date of October 4th, though it may be the 11th instead (which is Columbus Day weekend in the US). I'm hoping for the 4th, but we'll see how things work out for folks.

We MAY have a VERY SPECIAL guest. Details to follow if it looks like it will work out with his travel plans.

I'll post more information as we get closer. For those not familiar with the Hudson Armada Saturday is usually the "main event" where we run the class III-IV Hudson Gorge. It's a long day (18 miles), of "wilderness" paddling (the road is near the river a total of 4 miles...other than that the easiest way out is down the river. Helicopter rescues don't really work (ever few years they try with a rafting incident...and in the end raft them out). Good river reading skills and a servicable roll are essential for a fun day on the river. There are only 2 class IV rapids, both of which can be portaged if necessary (usually we have a few local open boaters along who show folks the "sneak lines" if they wish).

I can provide a place for folks to camp / stay - folks coming from further away get priority...and always if you've been to an Armada or know someone who has who can vouch for you we can likely scare up a boat for you to paddle if you choose to fly in to Albany (ALB) rather than drive.

PM or e-mail me if you need a place to crash and / or a boat.
Post here if you think you might be able to make it:)
Keep the C!
Adam
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

I'd love to join in. The Hudson has been on my to-do list for a while now. Either weekend will work for me at this point. I can bring an extra boat if needed. Camping recomendations would be helpful as we get closer to the date. ;)
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I have some property 30min or so from the put in folks are welcome to camp at (with running water / outhouse)(it's an old barn), and another option is to camp in my yard in Queensbury.

I'll post more info on options as we get closer and have a definite weekend:)
Keep the C!
Adam
kenneth
CBoats.net Staff

Post by kenneth »

The Hudson Armada is a lot of fun, I'll definitely try to make it from DC!
LEW
C Guru

Post by LEW »

Don't know about "sneak lines", but Lil'D and I will most likely be paddling the Blast. We will no doubt show first timers where all the good eddies are for pumping out the boat!
I'm sure some of the other ADKers will join us.

LEW
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Not sure yet, due to my work schedule, but I am definitely thinking about going!

Cheers!

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

I will have to decide whether to come to the armada or go to the Esopus slalom.
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
C1Dub
C Guru

Post by C1Dub »

Go to Esopus! (Sorry Adam, but we need boaters to support this race)

Hope to see you there!

Natalie

It was good seeing you at Nationals. What did you think?
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

I thought the morning rain was promising. I had a date on the UY so I didn't see the racing this year. I was there last year and tried to picture which way I would run the # 10 gate. As you may remember it was inline and you could jump the hump and run it from above which some of the most talented boaters did.
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Well, it's looking like it will be the weekend of October 4th (same as the Esopus race...I certainly understand if folks go to that instead!). I'd move it earlier, but there are a few folks I've been in touch with already that the 4th is the only weekend that works...and our "special guest" (still waiting to confirm...looong way to travel) is only available the weekend of the 4th and 11th (Columbus Day weekend for those of us in the US...Thanksgiving in Canada IIRC).

So, the 4th will likely be the trip down the Gorge, the 5th will likely be a run of the Sac, and / or a Cquirt fest, depending on who appears 8)

I'll post more info regarding camping a week or two prior - as I mentioned, I can provide camping for folks.
Keep the C!
Adam
beach
Pain Boater

Post by beach »

I should be able to put-in on the 4th as well... is the Hudson Gorge similar to the Kennebec Gorge?
Is a Hudson long day comparable to the Dead at 2,400cfs, 3,500cfs... should I bring lobstahs and steamahs?

Kevin
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Well, it's an 18 mile paddle that can take 2 hours...(high water), or 6 (more normal...). Plan on being exhausted at the end of the day....

Food-wise we'll work something out depending on how many people appear.

Folks that likely need a place to stay (Craig, Beach, etc...) please PM or e-mail me and I'll let you know the different options when appropriate (the week before most likely).

I'm going to try and get our shuttle taken care of too, so we can just park at the take out.
Keep the C!
Adam
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Okay. I'm tossing in a teaser.

I should be able to go north the first weekend in October and join y'all for the Hudson Armada.

Operative word is: "SHOULD" :D

The contingency is that I have the sitter arranged to be with our 2 1/2 year old. But, you know, she does like to paddle in a canoe...

...wonder how she'd be on a looooonnnnggg drive. 8)

KNeal
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Adam,

If I can make it, the Crack Boat, I mean Ceemweaver will definitely make it's way onto the roof rack 8) !
And as far as the 'special guest' is concerned, scould it be that he will travel from the Land of the Midnight Sun???

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Heidi
Pain Boater

Hudson Gorge

Post by Heidi »

From my limited experience of both rivers I'd say the Hudson Gorge NY under 5.5 is very different from the Kennebec Gorge ME at 8000. The Kennebec at 8000 has larger waves and is not what I would call sneakable. A long swim on the Indian, the entrance river to the Hudson, could be as long as one on the Kennebec about 3 miles. The Hudson under 5.5 is probably a notch of difficulty lower than the Dead ME at 5500. Haven't seen the Dead at 2400 or 3500 but have heard it could be comparable to the Hudson around 4.5 and under.

Not sure yet if I can make it but it's a good possiblity.

Heidi
Baby Falls-Tellico, TN