Inferno, first impressions:

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Jim Lyon
c

Inferno, first impressions:

Post by Jim Lyon »

I recently purchased an Inferno which is a new design from Millbrook Boats. I already have an Esquif Spark and a Zoom. I was looking for a boat that combined the best qualities of each of these boats and eliminated some of the negatives. You can’t beat the Zoom for responsiveness and fun when it comes to playing, surfing, etc. It’s down sides, for me, are it is heavy for it’s size, not fun on the flat sections and I must pay attention at all times to the hard chines which can be a blessing or a curse. The Spark is a much more forgiving boat, lighter, with more speed and glide. I am short and I find that the rocker on the Spark makes it a little harder for me to do cross strokes. The Inferno is extremely light and although slightly shorter than the Spark has fantastic speed and glide. The Inferno has a much lower and narrower bow which makes cross strokes much easier for me. I find that the Inferno surfs and spins well and is almost as responsive as the Zoom. The inferno’s lighter weight and softer chines seems to make it easier for me to control in surf and play situations. The Inferno is a Kevlar composite boat so I am concerned about how it will hold up to the unavoidable abuse whitewater boats sustain. So far it is holding up better than I had thought it would but I am being very careful and treating it as a “new boat”. As I become more familiar with it I will not be so careful and time will tell how it holds up. The good news is that repairs are easy to make, so I am told, and normal ware can be restored easily. I am extremely happy with the Inferno and very impressed with its performance. Since this is a new design I purchased it based on its specifications and the reputation of the designer/ builder. The Inferno, for me, combines the best features of the Spark and Zoom and in many areas outperforms them while eliminating some of their negatives. Now, if it was only available in Twin-text or Royallite.
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Composite Spark

Post by Mikey B »

Interesting looking! Shortened Ignitor...so is this like a composite version of the Spark? It looks similar but a bit different? I bet it's a hot rod! :D
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

Jim:

There is no doubt that plastic boats (ABS or polyethylene) are much tougher. Afterall you don't typically see people seal launching in composite and I don't recommend composite for freestyle in shallow waves and holes, or for serious creeking. However, it is a lot tougher than most people believe.

Treat it with care, as you are already doing, and it can potentially last for years, if not decades. I'm an old school slalom paddler and rarely paddle anything but composite. I have had to repair some cracks from time to time, and even some more serious damage from my OC-2 parting company from my wife and I in mid-course without airbags (it probably would have done much better if it wasn't acting like a submarine for the rest of the run). However, I'm still paddling some composite boats that I either built or bought in the 80s. Composite is much easier to repair than ABS or polyethylene and there is a lot of repair advice available on this site. Finally, composite is one thing that ABS and polyethylene will never be - light.

John
canoeman72

Post by canoeman72 »

I firmly believe composite boats are a better boat. But who am i to comment? Well I have a canoe school inthe Yukon and teach beginners how to paddle so all my boats get beat on hard. The composite boats I have last longer. And are much easier to repair.
I have a Clipper Merganser tandem which is a super surf machine that is 14 years old. It started it's career on top of my truck when I endered it off a 100 foot bank, boat was under truck for about 6-8 hours along with another Glass viper 12 and plastic viper 11. Could paddle all but the Viper 11 the next day.
Well that Merganser and Viper 12 have been going strong. Merganser has gotten loaned out to many diofferent people and rode hard.
Know maybe we are not as hard on our boats as people down south but maybe..
I tried out a Bulldog last year at Palmer Fest and i just hammered it on some boofs. PMP had a good look on his face when he saw me bunny hopin it over the slab i got stuck on.

Anyways I find glass boats faster, more responsive and way more effecient. This also goes to expedition tripping canoes.

Each to their own

I would love to try someMillbook designed boats but they are so far away. maybe someone will have one at Gatineau fest
Nate
C Guru

Post by Nate »

Hey Jim, I hope to see you out paddling it sometime soon. I'd like to try the boat out. You'll have to bring it to the Tohickon release in November.
Helly
C Guru

inferno vs rumba

Post by Helly »

I don't know what 'cab forward' design means looking at how these two boats compare, but I can tell you I absolutely love the Rumba! So I can see how you would like the Inferno.
Composite boats are such a joy to paddle! And as my friends say, I can make that boat dance!
I 'hound' Kaz every now & again about how he should make some of these boats in a tougher layup. The heaviest water I've paddled the Rumba in is the Pigeon River. I'd love to take it on the Ocoee, but I know spots where I would hit rocks, and bust the stern or hull.
I've picked up a Paradigm, and so far I like it pretty well on heavier water, but it still isn't the Rumba!
ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

I luv my Kevlar Rival but........

Post by ChrisKelly »

it do get beat up in the shallow rocky stuff.

In an act of pure hubris I took it on the Fractions. Did gud for a long way but then dropped the stern hard on rocks twice in a row.

I heard that horrible noise that all glass boaters know.

In Brown's Canyon, where the whitewater tends to be deeper it is a dream.
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

The beauty about a composite boat is that you can beat it up and repair it for 10 years and it would still be half the weight of a plastic boat. Some people actually enjoy paddling, and carrying composites boats as compared to plastic boats. Again, please, no flames.
JKaz
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

I was actually able to use/abuse my composite Hooter for 15 years before handing it over to a newbie. Did repairs every year or two with no substantial weight gain. Maybe 1-2 lbs max.
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

Jim, do you have pictures of your Inferno ?

Cheers Frank
imagine
Jim Lyon
c

Post by Jim Lyon »

Frank,

If you would like to see some pictures send me an email and I will send them to you.

Jim
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

what a tease...