Another Pump question

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

OC1er
CBoats Addict

Another Pump question

Post by OC1er »

I've got a esquiff factory installed pump with problems. It wouldn't fire up so I got to checking the circuit, which showed voltage throughout the system, but the pump would not fire up. I fiddled with it and found that if the switch is on and I start easing the plug (between battery and pump/switch) out the pump will fire. So there is some kind of connection issue at the plug. The plug is one of the "waterproof" esquif deals, I've soldered the wires into it on both sides. I can't imagine it would be good to have the exposed terminal posts submerged...I've thought about making a gasket that would fit between the male and female parts of the plug that would limit how far it could plug but still maintain "waterproofness". Seems like a better solution would be to somehow get connection with the plug fully plugged. Any help appreciated!
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
Louie

dam

Post by Louie »

I remember when questions about wood and glue was all that was involved with open boatin, now we got electrical issues. I still ain't sold on this electrical pump stuff yet.
OC1er
CBoats Addict

yep

Post by OC1er »

Nowadays fiddling with your boat will get you cancer and/or electrocuted!
jim gross
CBoats Addict

WHAT?

Post by jim gross »

What , yall meen too teal mee yall hav some batry operated devises in them thar kanus. Jus done speel yer beers and yer wonta haf ta be usin no batrys. Plus how weel does one of them thar batrys do if you mistery in da holes likes we do at da base of them thar watery falls? OO ya ma speelin today was fer dem thar Kanuks up north thar^ JIM
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

And Louie spelled everything correctly. Is it April 1?
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

The symptoms you describe (won't fire up; fiddle with it,then it works for a bit,etc...) was what mine was doing. I cleaned every accessable connection, then it seems to work fine. I still inspect and clean it regularly to keep the corrosion at bay. I'm gonna try that bulb grease on the connections this weekend.
Jim P
C Guru

triple ought

Post by Jim P »

fine steel wool on the plug prongs will clean them up if you find all the other connections to be good.
bambam
C Guru

Post by bambam »

Waterproof, schmalterproof. The only issue I've had with my system of wide open terminals, speakerwire, and an ordinary household light switch is that occasionally the terminals connecting to the battery get knocked loose.

Dunno if that argument would hold up in saltwater.

Keep it simple. Or, if it ain't working, make it simple.

Ken
OC1er
CBoats Addict

progress

Post by OC1er »

Thanks for the help, I'm making some progress. I went to Radio Shak and got some contact cleaner, that definitly seems to be helping. I haven't been able to really scrub at the plug contacts yet, but I suspect that will help. Whats the deal with the silicone grease, is that an anti- corrosion step?
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

The bulb grease is supposed to help(autopart store) per Sqeakyknee. Im gonna try it as the inside parts of the plug is hard to clean. The water doesn't bother it, just the green stuff on the copper connectors
paddlingkings
c

Post by paddlingkings »

Bulb grease will help keep the connection from corroding but you need to clean the terminals first. I have used small pieces of emery cloth rolled up to get in the female parts.The cleaner the better.
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

I think, I'll be installing twin turbos in all my 11ft OCs and some sort of GM Blower/Super-Charger in my Prelude.
They will be so fast, that water would not dare fill them up.
My question........
HOW CAN I keep my connections DRY and WATER out of my AIR Intakes?????????? :roll: :D :roll:
Seriously?????
dance for rain
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Better plan for a snorkel :

http://www.pbase.com/flagg/image/31374266
OC1er
CBoats Addict

progress

Post by OC1er »

Reamed the female bits with pipecleaners and contact cleaner, scrubbed the males with steel wool and cleaner, definitly helped. I still have to give the plug a flick, but it seems like once it fires its solid. Think I'll still pack a bailer for backup though! Hittin the ocoee next weekend, love to meet some of ya'll if you'll be out, look for the paradigm spewing a rootertail out the butt end!
watrwzrd
Pain Boater

Post by watrwzrd »

If you look at the coupler connection you will notice you can pull the rubber covering off and slide it up the wire under there you will notice
2 small screws take it apart and clip the wire to get clean ends or better yet just change it to a different setup all together I had problems with mine in a nitro and it frayed where they put it together and shorted with one tiny strand ruined the battery It started with the same symptoms you describe.