Saddle Height Question?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

griffen_williams
C Guru

Saddle Height Question?

Post by griffen_williams »

I recently bought an older Rook Schmidt C1 from Jennifer and Davey Hearn, and was wondering how high the saddle should be. Right now my entire backside is outside of the boat. Is this the most ideal situation? Also since the boat has such a small cockpit my legs are locked in solid without any straps, would adding them do any good or would i just be wasting my time?
GW
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

How high is the saddle (inches)? Some folks sit as low as 4", some can get away with 8-9" - that depends on a number of factors including boat geometry, your body shape, and tolerance for pain! I would imagine a Roock-Schmidt would have a smaller cockpit but possibly a pretty deep hull? You may be able to get your seat lower and get your legs under the deck better. You will probably want to get your "backside" actually *in* the boat...

I see from your post on the "starting out" forum that you are not far away. If you make it to Columbia, you can sample some other outfitting. The lake is full which means we might start getting some more released...

Or, see if you can make the Armada in just over a week!
griffen_williams
C Guru

right now the saddle is at 9in. Yeah i live in Fort Mill, i and i am looking to paddle. Unfortunatly the only thing that i dont have is a skirt(yet). I havent really paddled much C1 as of yet, i would like to do a little bit of flat water or easy I/II before i try too much.
GW
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I've got a couple of skirts, maybe one would fit. The Saluda has plenty of flat, Is and IIs as well as some tougher stuff.
griffen_williams
C Guru

This weekend

Are you up to anything this weekend?
GW
TomAnon
C Guru

Post by TomAnon »

I would say 9" is probably to tall; however, your backside sticking out the back and your knees locked in under the deck with out thigh straps sounds pretty normal for an old school slalom boat. How much do you weigh? How big are ya? Can you stand more pressure on your ankles? That can be quite a servicable boat for you to learn on. Just need to work on the outfitting, pretty normal state of affairs for a C1.

Tom
griffen_williams
C Guru

Im about 175/180 lbs. a 29 inch inseam. Im in there pretty well without the straps. My thighs are pretty big so that helps to keep me in.
GW