Contact cement in cold weather?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Aaron M
C Boater

Post by Aaron M »

I don't have a heat gun, so thats out of the question for now.

We do have a small space heater laying around somewhere, along with plenty of cardboard boxes. I'll think about that idea, but I'm not in any major hurry, so I'll probably just wait for a warm day.

Thanks for all the input. Good to know some of the little things that make contact cement work better.
I saw a duck skirt a hole and then eddy out. He could have easily flown. Makes you wonder, why'd he do that?
mathieuf
c

Post by mathieuf »

I have a question regarding this post:
does contact cement work well on plastic boat (spanish fly)?

Im working to put velcro at the hull for my saddle and my knee pads.

Thanks
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

works good on foam to plastic...wouldn't try for thigh straps anchors....but for foam bulkheads and saddle bottoms works good
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Good to know who all the glue sniffers are... had most of you pegged from the start but there was a few surprises. :lol:
Nate
C Guru

Post by Nate »

I believe they prefer the word ADHESIVE!, Craig.
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

Can't we get back to David's nicknames?
JKaz
mattm
C Guru

It's me Aarons dad

Post by mattm »

couple things, no glue sniffing in this household. I wouldn't want it to interfere with the "eau de acetone" mixing up the ABS in the family room, and as far as getting Aarons canoe dry; does that mean he'd have to "not paddle" for awhile :-? ?? Maybe when the air warms up, the rivers drop, and we go poling instead....

Yeah, we were checking out Crystal on the farmington before heading over to the Shepaug(I've been sick and had to get psyched to paddle) and we're checking out the chute with a keeper hole(at the level it was at) , when this black headed duck ran the chute, skirted the hole and the non keeper below it, then eddied out and just hung out there. Perfect line, waited to see if he'd run it again and try boofing :roll:
so glad for Krylon, ABS and acetone.Squirt, sail, paddle and pole.
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

One hacksaw blade and a Big red can of glue.........Good Times!!!
dance for rain
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

I just used a can of contact cement, the lable said best results at 65f. you'd probably be ok within 10 degrees of this. IMO I used it in my basement and it's not that warm down there, 50ish just lengthen the drying time,and be sure to ventilate if indoors,its very volatile stuff
mshelton
CBoats Addict

Post by mshelton »

ADHESIVE!
i r a p|r@t3

yeaaaaaaaarrrrggg
amollohan99
Pain Boater

Post by amollohan99 »

My wife wouldn't let me glue inside so I hooked up the old woodstove from VT in the shed. I started glueing, a couple of beers I went inside for a minute and almost fell over. Dry woodstove heat, beer, small spaces and contct cement remind me of the old Phish days. Careful, the red can works!

Andy