2008 Armada Thread

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Just in...

Post by PAC »

per an email asking when the schedule would be up....
The release schedule the Spring releases from Jennings Randolph has just been released. The dates are
April 19-20;
May 3-4;
May 17-81 and
May 31 - June 1.
Any Savage River release would not be announced until later in the Spring.
The latest information can be found at:
http://www.nab-wc.usace.army.mil/northBranch.html.

The campground is not scheduled to open until May 1. You can go the following website to check available times: http://www.recreation.gov. Search for dates and ROBERT W CRAIG CPGD in West Virginia.

Hope this is helpful,
Barry Flickinger
Let the planning begin!!!!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

At this time I vote for the last one (May 31/ Jun 1) with the next earlier date (May 17/18) as my second place vote.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Well, the only weekends that work for me are April 12-13 and May31 to June 01.

May 03-04 I am on a course.
May 17-18 is Palmerfest/Single Blade Symposium.

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Martin
What kind of course? :-)

The other dates are hard if not impossible - May 31 - June 1 works the best for me!

Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Paul,

paddling related, of course ... :D ... I am taking the ORCA provincial moving water instructor course this year... 8) .

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
bearboater
CBoats Addict

asci

Post by bearboater »

stay away from asci on the weekend, you will get a much better appreciation for the center...
if this is after juneish, I would love to, my current projected time frame back into a boat is late may... but that's like the max time out of the boat the surgeon though i would have... I will be up for anything, but i will have a week shoulder.
cheers
cheers
-isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

CURRENT THOUGHTS

Post by Sir Adam »

We're holding off right now on deciding what's going on...here's why:

The only date that actually works is May 31 / June 1 (Campgrounds not open in April, First weekend in May is Cheat Fest / Hudson River Derby, May 17-18 is the Single Blade Symposium).

While that date WILL work, we are working on another option as well...details to follow hopefully within the next week, if it appears we can pull things off....

While we are hesitant to change venues after so many years, for the past few years folks have talked about going elsewhere, just for a change. what's kept us at the North Branch of the Potomac is dependable class II - III water (we want to keep this event open to everyone, new folks and experts a like).

If it appears we have a second venue to consider I'll be posting a poll so the majority can choose where we go.

Thank you all for your patience!
Keep the C!
Adam
old and in the way
C Guru

Post by old and in the way »

FWIW - I cast my vote for the NBP and May 31-June 1.

I need more time to get over a high ankle sprain and be able to lay my feet down flat again :cry:
huge
C Boater

My vote

Post by huge »

As long as we are in the same general area my vote will be for May 31 - June 1, as I will already be in WV the previous week.

huge
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

ASCI option (paddling at the park).....

Post by PAC »

So I called ASCI (http://www.adventuresportscenter.com) today to see what the deal would be to move the Armada to a non-NBofP release date. Either to get more folks there, provide better control of level(s), to get more paddle time in, or a basic change of scenery. Here is the info…..

River Manager to determine maximum daily course capacity, but they have 80+ private boaters without issue. However, based on my one time experience there I would think 80 boaters would be a tad busy (but is do-able).

The course provides for river running, play spots, squirrelly eddies and squirt spots. It’s basically a man-made loop with a belt to lift you back up to the top.

Supposedly the squirt spot has controls and doesn’t lead to slamming into the bottom or sides – I’ll be an exception to that if we go here. We would still do the c-quirt in a natural setting on Friday but this might give others a chance to try it out.

Site opens at 9AM:
Mid-April: Weekend only
May – Friday - Sunday

Rates:

Cascades
10am - 2pm
~Class 2-3
Pumps 2-3
$15

Deep Creek Rapids
2pm - 6pm
~Class 3-4
Pumps 3-4
$20

All Day $25

For more info contact ASCI @ 301-387-3612 Carrie (reservations) or Matt (director).

Pros – controlled environment / flows at specific times, more opportunities to try boats, someplace different, different levels, chance to paddle at “park”.

Cons – controlled environment / flows at specific times, cost more than the $2 person that NBofP does, someplace different, not a natural setting, no Foxes Pizza.

Deep Creek, MD is at the bottom of the hill and there are plenty of pizza / food places there. We might be able to order and deliver to the site as well.

Thoughts? Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I just come up for Foxes Pizza ;-) I could do that or NBP. The May 31/ June 1 weekend still looks good for me regardless of the venue.
TomAnon
C Guru

Post by TomAnon »

US Junior Team Trials 31MAY - 01JUN Golden, CO

I guess I miss another Armada.....
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

So, is the question ASCI vs North Branch?

Post by ohioboater »

So, is ASCI the other venue option, or is there something else still in the works?

Even if we're on the NB, I figure I'll probably get on ASCI once during the Armada anyway, just to check it out. Not sure I'd want to be based there, though. I'm sure ASCI is a lot more interesting/challenging in terms of play features and push. On the other hand, I have never had to dodge a raft on the North Branch. I've heard WW parks on weekends can be a lot like the Ocoee in terms of raft traffic (and guides' disregard for private craft).

Oh yeah, the May 31/June 1 weekend would be good for me.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

TomAnon wrote:US Junior Team Trials 31MAY - 01JUN Golden, CO

I guess I miss another Armada.....
It's not decided yet... If we go with ASCI as the primary venue, that opens other dates up... Any time from mid-May on is better for me.
adamin
CBoats.net Staff

Post by adamin »

ASCI is the other venue in question.

I'm going to add a poll - please vote whether you'd like the North Branch or ASCI.

Regardless we're looking at the Cquirt event on Friday, and keeping Sunday open for whatever folks want to do.

As I see it (very similar to PAC) the Pros / Cons are as follows:

North Branch of the Potomac:
Pros:
-We've been going there for years
-Nice class II / II+ run
-Cheap

Cons:
-We've been going there for years
-Limited play spots (e.g. to keep with the group on a few play spots available at a time...definitely plenty of places to play along the way)

ASCI
Pros:
-New place to try out
-Run varies in difficulty depending on flow (my understanding is they ramp up and then down through the day).
-More places for play, and watching others, while staying together
-No shuttle
-Boat swapping MAY be easier

Cons:
-More expensive ($25 vs $2?)
-Non-natural (e.g more technique and play than scenery, though never having been to a man-made course, I'm intrigued by it)
-During parts of the day water may be pushier than some folks are looking for

Either way we'll find good eats I'm sure. And either way I know alot of us go for the comraderie and trying boats.