diffenrences between k1 and c1 slalom hulls?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

michielv
C Boater

diffenrences between k1 and c1 slalom hulls?

Post by michielv »

Hi all,

As slalom C1's are very hard to get here (unless bought new but 1600+ euros is not a nice price for getting started in slalom C1) I was wondering how much (if at all) the hulls for a k1 differ from a c1?

Because it is possible to buy a used slalom k1 overhere for under $100 and with a bit of love and patience a new, wider cockpit should not be much of a problem. Add some resin and fibreglass and foam for the seat and you could have a half-decent starter boat for less than $200, right?

Would this work or is a slalom c1 a completely different boat?

Edit: I only now found the rules for slalom boats: http://www.whitewaterslalom.org/rules/i ... -2001.html

From the looks of it I may have to add some sort of "wings" to a k1 to widen it (which will also add weight) and perhaps add a few repairs to add enough weight to make sure it weighs 10kg's ;) .

Thanks in advance for all input,

Cheers,

Michiel
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

you would have to be the best darned paddler I have ever seen to paddle a slalom k1 as a c1. you have next to no knee width, and the hulls have no stability. c1s are 5 cm wider, and almost all of that is in the bottom of the boat where width actually matters. the only boat that comes close to being a kayak is the martikan by vajda, and still there are huge differences. the volume is also way different, beause in a kayak, all of the weight is from the cockpit forward, so they can get away with tiny sterns, in a c1 the volume is more centralized. if you were do try to do this, i wouldn't add wings, i would add a flatter bottom in the middle of the boat, cut it all apart, and add the 5 cm. which then becomes too much work. for a cheap c1... and truthfully, it would be a wicked hard boat to learn how to paddle slalom c1.
cheers
-isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

michiel,

I am pretty sure that since the rules for length and width changed to 3.5 m and 65 cm in 2004 http://www.canoeicf.com/site/canoeint/i ... ndment.pdf
, you should be able to pick up an old 4 m boat for not much money, as they are obsolete now for the top level racers. That should be good enough to get you started, and you could even cut it down in length, if you wished to do so.

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
michielv
C Boater

Post by michielv »

@Martin: I'm afraid C1 slalom (or C1 paddling in general) never really existed overhere (Holland). Currently our Canoe/Kayak federation is trying to get more people in to C1/C2 slalom paddling but there are next to no (affordable) boats for beginners.

Too bad the hulls are so different as I was just offered a useable fibreglass k1 vor 10 (ten!) euro's.

Oh well, on with my search for a decent then, perhaps the Germans or Belgians have got a few boats available. At least they have more slalom paddlers anyway.

Cheers and thanks for all the info,

Michiel
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

it depemnds what kind of rush you are in. you could try to see what boats will be for sale next year at the olympic trials at zoertermeer, or check the dutch open next october. that would be your best bet. both of those races will have a diverse group of athletes, and often there are boats for sale...
cheers
-isaac
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

forget it :-(

I´ve been looking for a while now for a used slalom-C1 in Germany. I have talked to clubs also if they sell their "old"and long boats...
No chance.
imagine
michielv
C Boater

Post by michielv »

bearboater wrote:it depemnds what kind of rush you are in. you could try to see what boats will be for sale next year at the olympic trials at zoertermeer, or check the dutch open next october. that would be your best bet. both of those races will have a diverse group of athletes, and often there are boats for sale...
cheers
-isaac
Hi Isaac,

Sounds like those are my best options then. Fortunately I live about 30 km's from Zoetermeer ,although the waiting will the hardest bit ;-)

Any chance you or another CBoat member will be attending any of those competitions? If so and you need a contact in the area, just let me know!

I have noticed a demo boat on sale at Double Dutch (almost half price, around 850 instead of 1600) but it was still way beyond my budget. Especially with another small one to be entering our little household in about 12 weeks I don't think the missus would appreciate me buying another boat anyway but if it was a bargain I could always give it a try. 8)

Cheers,

Michiel
TomAnon
C Guru

Post by TomAnon »

Try this link and click on "Small Ads":

http://www.canoeslalom.co.uk/

Surf around some of the other links found on that page for ads. The British Canoe Union is very healthy. I noticed a bunch of Martikans for sale and a Ninja 370. I would probably look at the Ninja if I where you.
Nate
C Guru

Post by Nate »

I would like to try a Martikan some time. Too bad they aren't more popular around here :P
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

i am planning a euro trip next fall, but i will have to check on scheduling for the world series races, i would love to paddle at zoertermeer, but next winter may not be the time... who knows?
cheers, and good luck finding a boat.
-isaac
michielv
C Boater

Post by michielv »

Hi Isaac,

If you do go to Zoetermeer, make sure you let me know. The least I can do is hook you up with Rein Hagenaars, a very good/friendly and enthousiastic c-boater who lives in the area.

He's also involved in a lot of stuff going on at the slalom course so he can tell you all you need to know or help out with some equipment etc.

BTW: if you're interested, the Dutch Canoe Union (NKB) is trying to get more people into c-1 slalom. Perhaps it would be nice if you (and or a few fellow c-boaters) could give a clinic or something? It might get you some free time on the slalom course ;) .

Now, on with my quest for a c-1 slalom boat

:roll: