Help starting a young guy on C1 in WNY

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

wjblatner
c

Help starting a young guy on C1 in WNY

Post by wjblatner »

Hey y'all,

I was visiting my mom in Springville NY this weekend and took a Slasher along to play in the pond. My 15-year old nephew was very interested and spent a solid hour learning to carve an on-side circle paddling on the inside. After his ankles recovered he got back in and started working on his offside circle. Quick learner and really determined!

So now I'm back in MA and looking for some way to help him culitvate this interest in our rather eclectic sport. I could easily point him toward the dark side - easier to learn and to get equipment and instruction - but not without at least trying to connect him with some encouraging c1ers. He wants to do C1! Anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Bill
TomAnon
C Guru

Post by TomAnon »

I have heard some good things about this outfitter. I have no first hand experience with them. You will need to stress that you want him to take lessons in C1.

http://www.zoaroutdoor.com/

They have a nice practice area on the Deerefield River.
Walsh
CBoats Addict

Zoar

Post by Walsh »

I went through intro to river canoeing and SWR with Zoar, through my college outdoor club. The staff is extremely professional and adaptable. Bruce Lessels, the big boss, is a former C1 racer. I don't know if Fergus Coffee is there anymore, but he's put in some hours in a C1 as well.

Getting up and seeing those guys again is on my long list.
madmike
C Guru

Western NY

Post by madmike »

Try www.flowpaddlers.org

There is Lock 32 in Rochester, and some mysterious slalom program run by Art?.
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

C1 in WNY

Post by NZMatt »

I have a friend in Oneonta who might be able to help, if that's not too far away. Otherwise, I used to paddle with a guy in Binghamton who paddled OC1 and a little C1 - he's been a visitor to this board occassionally - Stevebusch:
http://cboats.net/cforum/profile.php?mo ... file&u=193

Also do a check down the location list of members and see who else you can find.

Cheers,
Matt
NZMatt

Hmmm....new country, new rivers...-
Still not enough c-boaters....
wjblatner
c

Post by wjblatner »

Thanks everyone,

I guess I wasn't clear about locations. I live in MA, near Zoar OUtdoor. But if my nephew was out here I'd take him myself.

His location is Western NY, a bit south of Buffalo. I'll check out FLOW and also the Zoar Valley Paddlers club and the suggestion for Cboat members locations is a good one. I'll try that. NY is a big state, especially for a 15-year old without a car or license.

Bill
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

Bill:

You might want to contact Art Miller at the Rochester Canoe & Kayak Park (ROCK) ( www.kayak-adventures.org ). He coaches a number of young slalom kayakers, but he might know of a C-1 or two in the area and slalom training is a great way to build boat control skills. His phone # is 585-377-1994 and he can be reached via e-mail at rockpark[at]rochester.rr.com.

John