break down paddles

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

oc1dude
C Boater

break down paddles

Post by oc1dude »

I am looking for a break down paddle that I can carry in a short OC does any body know who makes one. And does any one make one that is telascopic. so you do not have to worrie about keeping up with two peices
does not need to be a real good paddle just good enough to get me back to the take out if I break or loose my other paddle. So price will be important I dont want to spend $200.00 or more because I hope to never have to use it
thank you
Steve
Doug McKnight
C Boater

Breakdown paddle

Post by Doug McKnight »

I have a Werner two piece Bandit that fits in my Zoom fine.I keep the whole thing in a mesh sack with a draw sting. I believe I paid $150 for it last year. The only down side to it is the additional weight of the coupling, with these smaller boats I'm allways trying to be weight conscious,I can really feel the differance between my normal Bandit and my two piece
Doug
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

breakdown c-paddle

Post by NZMatt »

I have a 3piece Aquabound. I bought it in Canada a couple of years ago after seeing it in Rapid Mag. I really dislike Aquabound paddles, but this thing fits in any boat, so it's safety gear. I don't know if they're still making them, but it's worth checking out.
Cheers,
Matt
NZMatt

Hmmm....new country, new rivers...-
Still not enough c-boaters....
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

food for thought...

i have a three piece lightning paddle... wish i had thought more about the wieght because that sucker is heavy! whatever you get, duct tape all the pieces together and make sure it floats (there are a lot of break-down halves on the river bottoms.. i know of two this year and one of my own from a few years ago). mine is always in my creek boat- bungee'd to the rear pillar- and last year i noticed it was wearing out from rubbing on the boat.. so i wrapped the ends with foam to keep it from wearing out and to make it float better if it ever comes out.

... if i got another i would get a really light paddle... i've carried it like fourty million times only used it once.

i would think any good paddle company would make one for you. lightning made mine out of a "second" that they had. might want to call mitchell or galasport?
Larry
Doug McKnight
C Boater

Werner also floats

Post by Doug McKnight »

They plug both pieces just inside the joint. I also looked into Aquabound and they do still make them, but they're much heavyer but around $110. And when I say my breakdown is heavyer its still probably only a couple ounces.
Doug
Jan_dettmer
CBoats Addict

Post by Jan_dettmer »

I have a robson C1 Rodeo breakdown. Awesome paddle and super light.
I'd never buy a heavy spare. It's not worth it cause you'll be carrying it all the time.

As Larry mentioned, wrap it with something. Otherwise it will wear down
substantially after many days in the boat. I just use duct tape for that.

Cheers, Jan
Is there something like an expert kayaker?
http://www.bc-ww.com
Walsh
CBoats Addict

Post by Walsh »

http://www.adventuresports.com/kayaks/s ... sories.htm

I have no experience with this product but have been meaning to try one. As I understand it, it's a sub-2lb, 60" wood/fiberglass paddle for $72+shipping. It's meant for use with backpacking-style inflatables, but I'm surprised I haven't seen one out on the river. It can't be worse than a Carlisle hacksaw-job.

- Jon
pmp
CBoats Addict

breakdown

Post by pmp »

I use an aquabound breakdown, it's great. Now when I travel I don't even try to bring a full length paddle. the coupling is so snug I can't tell the difference bewtween my reg. paddle and the breakdown
paul m