Evergreen Solito OC1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

milkman
C Maven

Evergreen Solito OC1

Post by milkman »

I've bought one, outfitted it, and now tried it in the water. It's a great boat. Handles like a short Ocoee. The hard chines are excellent for carving. The boat doesn't have much initial stability, but it has good secondary. It accelerates well. I'm still evaluating the surfing, but so far I've liked the rides I've gotten on most of the waves I've dipped it into. My usual canoe is a Dagger Phantom. This boat is a tad longer and wider, but plenty responsive. An excellent choice for those canoeists who like short boats.

Cons: Light layup--about as thin as the Bell version of the Ocoee. Rocks are going to be rough on that chine. Also, there are no grab thwarts at the bow and stern plates. I installed my own.
Last edited by milkman on Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
milkman
C Maven

Contest Winner

Post by milkman »

I got an email from the Solito naming contest winner and it turns out he's selling the canoe he won because he's not a whitewater paddler. He's going to use the funds to buy a flatwater canoe.

Oddly enough, in Italian, the word "solito" means "commonplace." The boat itself iss far from commonplace though and a very welcome addition to our ever-narrowing OC1 choices.