Converting Jackson boats

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ian123
CBoats Addict

Converting Jackson boats

Post by ian123 »

Just bought a karma. It has a plastic track welded to the hull and bolted to the bow and stern pillars. It seems well-attached but I can't tell if it s sturdy enough to stand alone. Anyone have any experience with this?
Wodza
C Guru

Re: Converting Jackson boats

Post by Wodza »

Not suggesting that you use the Jackson factory C1 outfitting but it is just thumb screw bolted to the plastic track and slipped under the U channel after the u channel has been trimmed a bit to accept it. I have no experience with this but would expect the existing plastic channel to be strong enough for diy c1 outfitting attatcment because of this.

Video of jk factory c1 outfitting install:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRCZvH5bhog&app=desktop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Re: Converting Jackson boats

Post by the great gonzo »

Good choice on the Karma. Just had my Karma M out on some actual creeks for the first tiime last weekend and all I can say it'a the best C1 conversion I ever paddled. It is everything I hoped it to be and then some. Definitely exceeds my expectations.
As far as theoutfitting is concerned, at first I was also sceptical about the rail, particularly about single the single screw to hold the crotch anchors of my thigh straps, but so far it seems to be very solid and holding well. I skipped the JK C1 outfitting, too many features on it that I personally don't like and heavy, too.
I made my own.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau