Charging iPhone & other items on multi day trip....

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Charging iPhone & other items on multi day trip....

Post by PAC »

Looking at taking a multi day canoe trip in Canada (5 to 7 days) and looking for thoughts on keep a charge on an iphone and maybe other devices. Rationale is to use a couple iphones on the trip as cameras and maybe some coverage.

Anyone have experience with solar panel arrays that work?

And / Or power packs?

Thanks in advance.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Re: Charging iPhone & other items on multi day trip....

Post by arhdc »

iPhones are notoriously finicky beasts when it comes to charging and with each new generation they seem to become worse. I have one lithium ion backup pack rated for something like 3000mAH that works for iPhones when fully charged but most of the ones that I have tried have not worked at all.

This may be more weight than you want to carry but I have had good success using a jump pack with a cigarette lighter plug to charge iPhones and other electronic devices on camping trips lasting up to a week. Based on this experience I'd at least consider a modestly sized sealed lead acid battery with a cigarette lighter plug attached. a 4.5AH 12V SLA 4lbs and stores 9000mAH at 6V and should give you several days worth of juice if you manage it wisely. Plus, it's waterproof.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
Big Al
CBoats Addict

Post by Big Al »

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/78067?pr ... 384_google" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$130

Big Al
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Thanks guys. AL not going to buy ANOTHER stove - but I like the concept. The panels I've looked at seem to work marginally for iphone 4 series but bad reviews for the 5 series. Of course I have the 5.

Like the battery thought but a working panel would be lighter. Hummm.....
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
andrewjacobblease
c

Post by andrewjacobblease »

http://www.powerpractical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No need to buy a whole stove. This works on anything that is hot. I have no personal experience with it, but plan on buying one shortly for overnight trips so I can charge camera batteries.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

I've been using GoalZero Guide 10 Plus Solar Kit for years to charge my iPad, camera batteries, sat phone, etc.

http://www.goalzero.com/p/79/guide-10-plus-solar-kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

What Paddle Power said. I just did a five day San Juan trip and most folks used the goal zero panels for iphones and pads.
Einar
CBoats Addict

arhdc does it

Post by Einar »

Same as... arhdc.

I use a simple lead acid 1.3ah ($15) & a cheap 12volt to USB car cig. adaptor.
OK, so... it is missing the voltage regulation for lithium but I have low standards, I just unplug it after 1-2 hrs and call that volt reg.
Does my cell phone for pizza and my GPS for delivery.
It also will run my 12 volt air bag pump and the bailing pump.

I have also rigged a cigarette outlet-insert to fit the batteries connectors so I can charge the lead acid off the truck. Battery sits on the console, when it gets too hot it is charged.
By the way when a cheap sealed lead acid is overheated/overcharged it will bulge and chirp like a lazy cricket as it vents gas. A very lazy cricket.
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

Dude, leave your phone in the car. Unless you re in town or on a major highway corridor, you won't have signal anyway!
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Ian - agree but going to use as camera too.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Einar
CBoats Addict

Take a cell phone...

Post by Einar »

Take a cell phone...just make it someone else's broken glass cell phone that you bought for cheap off of Craiglist, Kijji or ?

Likely the 1080 p camera and video still works, you can test it at purchase, and clamp style cell phone holders are inexpensive for mounting wherever, even as multiple mounts.

So, you are looking at a display for image line up thru cracked glass? Who cares! How good this idea is depends on.... how cheap you bought it. If it goes over the side, lost, you are down an inexpensive card and camera.

It uses the same card your working phone uses, so you can review your shots on your good cell "monitor" around the campfire, see what's missing and shoot that tomorrow.

Bye the way alternate your cards (buy more smaller capacity ones and label them) so that your entire 7 day or 3 week trip isn't on the front end of a cheap plastic mount.

Good luck
e

This is where the cheap battery charger system comes into play...
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Turn off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. They keep scanning for signals and will suck the battery quickly. It is amazing how much longer the battery lasts when they are turned off. And make sure your daughter has not switched your wallpapers to live ones. :x
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."