C1 Roll

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Ellingferd

C1 Roll

Post by Ellingferd »

So, I am an experienced kayaker (11 years freestyle and creek class V-V+) and I am just getting into C1 because I am interested in being as well rounded as possible. I am repurposing my Project x64 (since the my new mobius 65 just arrived!) and I have completed the outfitting which I will post in a bit. Last night was my first pool session and after a few attempts I established a consistent roll, but it is an adaptation of my k1 roll, high brace the whole way. I get up very quickly every time, but I after looking around at C1 roll technique articles and videos, it seems this is not the proper technique as I am not rotating the blade after the sweep to initiate the low brace as the primary roll stroke, if that makes any sense.

My question is this: should I learn the full, traditional C1 roll, i.e. the blade rotation to switch to low brace, or should I stick with what I have figured out? Are there any disadvantages to a high brace roll? Shoulder concerns, etc?

Thanks for the input and I will be sure to post my conversion as soon as I dial everything in.

Jonathan
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Re: C1 Roll

Post by Yukon »

Low brace roll is much safer for the shoulders, which is one advantage of c-1 imo. It may take some retraining time for you but in long term well worth it.
Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Post by OC1er »

Learn the c roll. You'll find as you play with c boating that the low brace with a single blade is one of the biggest advantages c has over k. The advantage is that you can get your t-grip hand out past the edge of the boat (with paddle extended perpendicular to the boat), and you can get a lot of leverage off that brace. Once you discover that bomber brace, the roll is really just a matter of weighting the offside knee and lifting the onside knee, with a bit of hip. You'll be able to keep all the arm action out of the roll after some practice, it's all knees and hips. You can't get that brace in a k boat, the blade opposite of the brace side gets in the way. Your shoulders will be much happier for it also. Keeping that low brace blade on a climbing angle and combining with a bit of a bit of a back sweep during the roll will keep you nice and tucked also, better protection than that sweep roll most kayakers seem to use where they end up on the back deck a bit. Think c to c on the back face of the blade and you're there!

-Dan P.
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
Dave.E
C Guru

Post by Dave.E »

You CAN roll a canoe with a kayak sweep roll. I have one in my open boat.

That being said, a proper C1/OC1 low brace roll is much more powerful. Also an aggressive sweep roll in a smaller C1 will make you stern squirt out. Only problem with the low brace roll is that it takes a bit longer to set up properly.

My current combat roll is sort of a hybrid of the two... Sweep from wherever i am to the setup position, initiating the roll while doing so. Once I get to the setup position or the sweep stops being productive I flip the paddle and low brace up. It's more graceful than it sounds.

Dave
https://vimeo.com/user32086287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Plenty of folks have damaged their shoulders trying to roll in a high brace. I suspect if you are used to rolling that way your muscles are well developed for it, and coupled with the "controlled" situation you were in good shape. Atrophy those muscles a little, add some current (or an open boat instead of C1) and you are likely asking for trouble.

That said, there are lots of variations you may find come easier. A back deck roll to name one, which is very fast and dynamic.

Getting a good solid "C" roll down is worthwhile though, if for no other reason than to train those muscles for low bracing.
Keep the C!
Adam
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

the promlem IMHO with k rolling a cboat is the higher seating postion in a cboat puts more strain on the shoulder. a low brace roll is safer in the long run and super easy so there's no reason to risk it.
Joe
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Ditto on what others have said. The one thing that I do differently is to flip the blade as I'm flipping the boat. That way I don't have to flip it after sweeping out, it's already set up. This will allow you to use the momentum from your flip to help you roll. All you'll do is sweep out, face the river bottom & roll up.
Another_Andrew
c

Post by Another_Andrew »

I use a low brace roll and an adapted k1 roll for freestyle. I can switch them up depending on my body position when I enter the water/flip.

When I flip in a side surf I can do a k1 roll which is quick and it's not so tough on the shoulder, but I know I can rely more on a low brace roll if needed (e.g if I flush).
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

As you may know, in the right current conditions, all you need to do it get the paddle across the deck/cockpit and you roll up.

Your high brace roll skills maybe handy if you do an offside roll.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;