New to solo

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

rev greenbud
c

New to solo

Post by rev greenbud »

Ok so I've had a dagger caption for years and have just got a mohawk maxim. World of its own. Can I just say Help or should I go in to detail. I've paddled Tuck, Nattie, French broad in the caption of course. So I guess what I asking is there anyone in the asheville area that want to take me under their wing or a video so I can get a handle on this new boat. I live in Clyde.
rev greenbud
c

Re: New to solo

Post by rev greenbud »

So i started this on the wrong board and i was asked for Details.. ok. So I've paddled it a few times. I am working on my roll in a pool. I Got it once yeah! Feel like I'm pulling my head out to fast and my hip snap is not there. But my real problem is when i get on swift water. I've tried calm water and feel like i've got decent control. In swift water i don't feel like i have any control. I've tried leaning forward and staying there but the lack of primary just kills me. I guess i need more time in the saddle, it would just be nice to have a group to go with.
Dave.E
C Guru

Post by Dave.E »

Not anywhere near you so I can't get on the water with you, but here is some advice. Last year was my second season, so I still remember what helped a lot.

- A solo canoe will always handle better and feel more stable on edge. Basically you should be 'carving' between different features, piecing together your line. Practice paddling the boat on an edge. The 2x4 method is pretty much the standard way of paddling. Work on paddling circles both onside and offside. Then work on paddling in the shape of an 8, with one circle offside and one onside. I'll attach a diagram in my next post. Work on this on flat water and the skills will translate to moving water.

- Get that roll. It makes paddling and learning SO MUCH MORE FUN and less dangerous. As soon as I learned to roll my paddling exploded. Rolling is way easier and less embarrassing than swimming and being exposed to all sorts of river hazards.
https://vimeo.com/user32086287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

Wow Dave! Based on your videos I NEVER would have guessed you only started paddling two season ago :o !

anywho, I concur with practicing paddling in circles, both onside and offside. Pool practice works great. I learned a lot of cool drills from the book "Paddle Your Own Canoe" by Gary and Joanie McGuffin. Lots of flatwater stuff in there, but also TONS of great whitewater drills and exercises as well.

Good luck, and welcome to the community!
Peace Pow and Paddling!
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

I'm right here in Waynesville and am happy to help. Do you have a drysuit?
rev greenbud
c

Post by rev greenbud »

Wendy i would like to get togeather. I'll be at the waynesville rec wed nite 7-9 or email me. I have a drytop and a wetsuit.
I'll check out that book.
Thanks all
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Dave got it right: 2x4 and rolling.

Here is info on the 2x4 forward stroke method:

http://westwoodoutdoors.ca/2010/02/24/c ... -westwood/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dave.E
C Guru

Post by Dave.E »

Here's that diagram. Took me forever to dig it up. I wish I could credit the source but I have no idea where it came from.

I would also recommend reading thrill of the paddle, it is really well put together.
truckeeboater wrote:Wow Dave! Based on your videos I NEVER would have guessed you only started paddling two season ago :o !
Technically three years... I don't like to count the first one :lol: Bought my first boat in 2011, went: 2011 6 days, 2012 38 days, 2013 67 days. I also paddled easy moving water in tripping canoes at summer camp growing up, so that counts for something too.
https://vimeo.com/user32086287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Credit Andrew Westwood for 2x4 and that diagram.

http://westwoodoutdoors.ca/andrew-westwood/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
awells
C Boater

Post by awells »

Hey Rev,

Check out the Facebook group Asheville Armada. Lots of friendly c-boaters there who love to share in the fun. I don't think it's a private page, if you have trouble getting onto it, let me know and I'll figure out how to invite you.

On another note, you just went from one of the most universally loved boats to one of the most notoriously love/hate boats. I'm not trying to inspire any negative feelings, just to say that the Maxim is by reputation a hard boat to paddle. I may not be the first to tell you this, certainly not the last :)

good luck!
Adam
rev greenbud
c

Post by rev greenbud »

Hey Adam,
Looked up the group on Facebook could not find it. If you could send me a invite that would be great. My name is Fatie Atkinson. Again, thanks for all the advice.