footpeg modifications

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

footpeg modifications

Post by truckeeboater »

I've read a few threads about certain footpeg mods (like increasing the distance between the bottom of the peg and the hull of the boat, changing the orientation of the pegs relative to the centerline, etc.) but was wondering about the actual HOW of modifying hard plastic footpegs. I'm thinking of rounding off the bottom outside corners of mine and would like to know the best way of going about doing it. I've got a Dremel tool that might work (or maybe a hacksaw?), but don't know if it would be worth it to try removing the pegs from the boat to do the work. any advice? thanks!
Peace Pow and Paddling!
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Re: footpeg modifications

Post by Creeker »

I would cut it with a hacksaw while they are in the canoe and possibly do it as a 2 step process. You could just bare hand a blade if there is any difficulty in clearances. Personally I would cut it less than you think and just boat it or at least dry fit into it before cutting more. maybe sand the corners round with 80 or rougher sandpaper.
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Re: footpeg modifications

Post by arhdc »

I've trimmed them in the boat with a flush cut Japanese saw (small one). Personally I like to angle the cut just a bit to give more clearance at the ends to make it easier to get my feet started under the pegs.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.