drysuit repair - Tear-Aid patches - Stohlquist warranty

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Walsh
CBoats Addict

Re: drysuit repair - Tear-Aid patches

Post by Walsh »

McNett has a product for repairing Gore-Tex waders: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHUv1m2FPSc

I have used Tenacious Tape alone as a temporary solution. Using it in conjunction with Aquaseal ought to be a good permanent fix.
FURZTROCKEN!
yarnellboat
C Maven

Re: drysuit repair - Tear-Aid patches

Post by yarnellboat »

FYI, For now I have just done the repairs with a thin layer of Aquaseal, because I don't want to cover the damage now, because I need Stohlquist to be able to see the materials where it's failing.

If I still end up with this suit after Stohlquist tests it again, I'll cover the Aquaseal repairs with Tear-Aid (A, for fabric) or other repair tape.

Using the flashlight trick I learned in this thread, I patched quite a few pinholes and damaged areas - and good thing too, because I "tested" the suit yesterday with a full-on swim in very cold water in a very cold canyon! It still leaked too much in my legs, but had I not patched it, I would've had a really miserable day!

Pat.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Re: drysuit repair - Tear-Aid patches - Stohlquist warranty

Post by yarnellboat »

FYI, I'm happy to report that Stohlquist has agreed to replace my drysuit under warranty!

Although they intitially said it was passed it's end of life (5 seasons of very light use) and only offered me a moderate discount on a new suit, I made my case that I've been diligent about communicating with them about the leaky suit and have sent it to them for factory repairs every year since 2009 (when it was 2-years old), and that it had never remained reliably dry since they started the extensive patching and re-taping etc.

I was unhappy that they were calling it end of life now in 2013 when it's been an ongoing problem that they've been aware of for 4 years - their customer service was very quick & pleasant to deal with, and made a successful appeal to the national manager to have the suit replaced.

Everybody talks a bunch about the warranty & repair service from Kokatat, but in my experience Stohlquist has been very good too.

Pat.