2012 NBoP Armada... on the Cheat April 28th and 29th

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

2012 NBoP Armada... on the Cheat April 28th and 29th

Post by Sir Adam »

Due to the lack of releases when the campground is open and everyones preference (see the poll) we're moving the venue this year to the Cheat. Camping will be at Teeters.

More info from folks that know the area to follow - I know I have a few questions (reservations needed? Directions? etc...).

As usual we'll plan on the Cquirt "competition" on the Friday before (the 27th).
Keep the C!
Adam
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Re: 2012 NBoP Armada... on the Cheat April 28th and 29th

Post by PAC »

Armada & Cquirt 2012

Camping looks to be at Teter's Campground, 122 Beech Run Road, Albright, WV 26519 (304) 329-3626.

This is the same camp ground used for the bulk of the camping during Cheat Fest. The camping area butts up against the Cheat Festival Fair Grounds and put in for the Cheat Canyon. I beleive its $8 per person per night and does have hot showers.

Its also roughly a 15 minute drive from the camp ground to the Fascination Alley sink spot, if it is “in”.

Close to a few good eateries. And has a number of watersheds close:
Cheat Narrows : 15 minutes
Ohiopyle (Lower Yough): 50 minutes
Cheat Canyon: 1 minute
Big Sandy: 30 minutes
Tygart River: 60 minutes
Savage River & NBofP: 60 minutes
Etc.

The issue will be how to get as many people as possible to one or two watersheds. That time of year things seem to be running and some folks sort get excitable! :-)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

My vacation finally got approved! I'm planning to drive up on Thursday. Do we need to make reservations?
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Nope on the reservations.... much more free format kind of camping. Show and set up.

Others can chime in as to some of the details.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

Hey All

This MAY be a really dumb annoying question and I nearly just sent a PM to ask but I figure that are others out there who may have the same questions so here goes.

Could someone please give a short overview of what this event consists of and who should plan on attending? I have looked at the chatter from past years and have some idea but there really is not much for what to expect this year and we are approaching the point that plans need to be made.

Please note that I realize that this is a fairly free form event and I'm not asking for anything that is set in stone, just a basic overview will do.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Not a stupid question at all:)

In past years we've actually been somewhat structured - meeting on Friday at a specific time at a specific place, then having other folks join us at other points (PS Composites for instance), then on Saturday meeting at 10 or 11 at the take out and running shuttle and eventually getting on the water.

This year will be a bit different as we're in a completely different location.

I'll post what I am expecting, and PAC and others can correct me :lol:

Friday
-Meet for a run of the loop, or elsewhere depending on levels
-PS composites before or after lunch?
-Cquirt competition in the afternoon

Saturday
-Figure out what is running and go paddle! Hopefully leaving the campground by 10? (I'm completely making that time up). For Saturday in the past we've tended to all stick together as a group, and I hope that continues this year. That means something class II-IIIish most likely that has some decent play spots on it - something for everyone in other words.

Saturday night - dinner out together as usual? Not sure where this year....

Sunday
-Typically we call go our separate ways, but in several groups. Folks heading north paddling something north on the way home, south on the way south, etc...., with some folks just taking off in the AM and not paddling that day. I've often run the NBoP (first half anyway) with a smaller group before taking off.

So, what to expect?

A friendly, welcoming group where there will be some confusion :wink:
Keep the C!
Adam
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Its an even for anyone and evryone, theyve even been known to help cripples down the river whilst suffeing broken bones.
Proud Yankee
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

Maybe we'll get lucky and the Savage will be running that weekend for a getaway day.

Because this year, the July 1 release is the same as Deerfield Fest weekend, which blows. In a perfect world, fests and releases would never conflict, it would rain during the week days, and gas would by 80 cents a gallon...
Chris Loomis
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

Does the condition "upsidedownboatitis" count as a disability :-? ?

Thanks for the information. I am trying to make the scheduling work so that I can attend and meet some more folks in person. My only problem now is what to do with my spouse who likes to paddle on the dark side.
~Aaron~

Big Al
CBoats Addict

Post by Big Al »

Aaron,

The Armada is designed for you. It's a chance to try out many different boats, OC'1's and 2's and C1's. You can even try out squirt boatin and go to the shop and see how the squirt boats are built.
Most folks will likely paddle the Cheat Narrows (Class 2); others, depending on levels, may do the Little Sandy (Class 2-3), the Canyon (3-4) or the Lower Big Sandy (4+) all within a short distance from Teeters.
Darksider spouses are always welcome.

hope to C u there!

Big Al
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

Thanks Allen for the encouragement.

I have been told that I would be the biggest disaster that Squirt Boating has ever seen :D so I am not sure if that is in the cards, though I guess that it is a lot like swimming and I'm ok with that.

I'll keep following this thread for further updates.

Thanks Again
~Aaron~

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I'll reiterate what Al said - all are welcome, and not just CBoaters. Each year we have friends of folks attending that use slightly different craft than most of us prefer, but all have a good time. Sometimes they get converted, too :wink:
Keep the C!
Adam
old and in the way
C Guru

Post by old and in the way »

If there's a crew planning to run the Narrows on saturday I could be talked into that...been well over 10 years since I did that, though...
"As long as there are young men with the light of adventure in their eyes or a touch of wildness in their souls, rapids will be run." -Sigurd Olson
Gwyn
Pain Boater

Anyone coming to the Armada from Ontario??

Post by Gwyn »

I am trying my level best to be at the Armada this year.

Obviously I don't really want to have to hire a car and drive all the way from Canada on my own, so would be interested in sharing transport with anyone coming from the (Far) North.

I have lots of boats that I could bring and share!

Thanks
Gwyn
http://www.petawawaraftteam.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mohakarafting.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.shaggydesigns.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Gwyn - I hope you can make it - it is always fun paddling with you... and watching PS hide things from you when you wander around his shop :wink:

For locals - what (other than the Cheat) might we be paddling, and any recommendations for boat or type of boat (creek, slalom, river runner, etc...). The North Branch was nice as it was good for just about anything (Mike and I enjoyed squirting it... he gets the most style points for going through Robin's Nest on his bow of course...). I can toss the Fink on if it's worth it... otherwise I'll leave it here....

Kenneth hopes to join us all as well... I might Shred with him if he wants (could be a lot of fun... it usually is:) ) or bring a duck or something.
Keep the C!
Adam