NEED ADVISE ON OLD SCHOOL BOATS VALUE

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

old school
c

NEED ADVISE ON OLD SCHOOL BOATS VALUE

Post by old school »

I need advise about some "Old School" C-1's I am looking to sell.
3 Boats -
2 Haun Hull boats(Fiberglass, 1 with some Carbon Fiber in deck)
1 Seda WW Racer - Kevlar, '81 SE WW Championships.
Anyone have knowledge of potential market value, if any?
Should still be good for bigger water, expedition type stuff.
Guess I will keep my C1-Phoenix Slipper and OC1-Old Town Mini Tripper unless someone really wants them.
It has been 30yrs since I have paddled so I dont know current equipment, terminology, etc
And no idea if these boats are worth anything to anyone?
What should I price them at, range?
I can fill in some specs, email pics, etc
All are 13', in good cond, and have walls, seats, pads and straps.
Only paddled once by a little old man who never exceeded 1mph or 1k cfs :D Well, hmmm, maybe the Gauley was a little more than that. :wink:
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I have fond memories of my old Hahn, and still own a Phoenix C-1 that was my principal ride between 85 and 95. But if I were selling them in Atlanta, and wanted to move them fast, I'd probably ask $150 each. It could be more if they were in extra nice condition.

Mini Trippers are so rare now. I think Michael Rainey won either the slalom or the combined event in the Nationals way back in the early 80s. You're right to hang on to yours until you find a buyer who wants that boat, specifically.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Not to be too cute, but it is worth what someone is willing to pay for them;)

Here is my experience with Hahns in the Northeast US, but realize prices are definitely regional:
I picked up a somewhat ugly, but very sound Millbrook Sweet-Hahn 6 or 7 years ago for $200.

A fellow I know picked up two Hahns recently for $300 each if I recall correctly - one had barely been paddled (that one was a super good deal).

If the boat is in useable shape (doesn't need repair, no soft spots, etc...) regardless of age I tend to think it is worth at least $150 or $200, assuming it is a design folks want to paddle still (I think the Hahn fits this category). There are other designs (Gyramax anyone?) that folks will give you $50 for because they want the saddle for a different boat, but that's about it.
Keep the C!
Adam
old school
c

Post by old school »

Thanks for the comments and thoughts and taking the time to help me here.

At least I have some idea of the parameters I am working with.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Sir Adam--- A Millbrook Hahn can be picked up easier than most Hahns made in my era. :o
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Lots in the northeast, and they are light too:) (not sure which way you meant that.. or both :wink: ).

The Slipper is a neat boat too.
Keep the C!
Adam
old school
c

Post by old school »

My "Blue" Hahn
"Like New", only one light run by a friend.
Somehow we got access to a Hahn hull mold.
I got a couple of friend boat makers in Atlanta to help me with the FRP layups. I did not want to change the hull layup from standard so I just did a standard layup there. But the deck mold produced an almost flat top surface - not like the other "Peaked?" decks around. And I had access to some Carbon Fiber!(Note this was 30yr ago) cloth was not available at that time so I had to work with the strands. As an engineer, I reasoned if I used the strands in a transverse layup to structually support the deck, I could eliminate one layer of FRP Glass. Which is what I did. So this boat is lighter than normal. Also the flatter deck makes it look almost like a Slipper from above. So bigger than a Slipper(because of hull design) but smaller vol than some other Hahn's around at that time.
Never did get to paddle it - think it would be a sweet boat.
Almost makes me wish I could still paddle.
Outfitted with walls, pads, seat, straps weighs about 36#.
Is that light or heavy?
My slipper(outfitted same) weighs about 42#.
Note - the only plastic C1 around was the Sage and it was a Barge.
Kind of like paddling a School Bus.
Two Tellico runs was more than enough for me.
madmike
C Guru

$300

Post by madmike »

I paid $300 each for 2 Milbrook Hahns, and I love them.
icyone
C Guru

Post by icyone »

Just as a note -- it's better if they have been stored under cover...
C-1's are the Gods of the River
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

My Hahn was made of many glass layers and one polypropylene layer, by Bill Crowley in Atlanta. It probably weighted about 50 pounds.

My Phoenix Seewun or Slipper, which I called Phlipper, was in the "Fiberlastic" layup. The hull never broke, though I patched one small place where it delaminated. But the Seewun in Fiberlastic was as heavy as the plastic Gyromaxes. At my height and weight, the Phoenix doesn't turn easily enough, and the cockpit is a bit too far forward. A rather fast cruising boat, but a disaster for citizen slalom racing. I think the Hahn was faster.
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

Several years back I bought a Sweet Hahn for $150. Since then I've been given three more Hahns and a couple of high volume C-2s. It seems like a lot of guys reaching their sixties think that they're too old to paddle anymore. :o Outside of Charlie Walbridge and myself I know of no one else that likes to paddle the old Hahns. :roll: Since there are so few people wanting to buy them I've been really lucking out. :P