c-1 advise

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

jededmon
Pain Boater

c-1 advise

Post by jededmon »

I'm looking to purchase a c-1. Currently I have an opportunity to pick up a cascade for a good price. I am completely new to c-1. I've paddled oc1 for a few years, but have really only been in a c-1 once.... So my question is is this an appropriate c-1 to start out in, or am I going to end up wanting something else right away. Also, being new to c-1 I'm not sure what kind of boat in general I am looking for-- playboat, river runner, creek boat.. not sure. Also, I am definitely on a limited budget but am willing to wait awhile to make the purchase if I need to spend a bit more.... Thank you.
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

When it comes to C1s, you can get any boat you want because most of the available c1s were kayaks. The Cascade though is a C1 specific boat, it paddles like a canoe. If you are looking for a canoe that you can put a skirt on, its the Cascade. What kind of paddling do you do? Class III river running, Playing, Class IV, CLass V? This would influence your decision. If its a great deal go for it, it will let you learn C1 paddling easier than some of the kayak conversions.
B
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

The Cascade is a fine boat for the transition from OC-1 to C-1, but how long you will want to paddle it really depends on you. What kind of OC-1 do you paddle now? Something with edges or a more round hull? What kind of paddling do you do? What do you *want* to do? The Cascade is a capable river runner and creeker (though long) - not so much a playboat (though you can get booming enders).
CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Post by CosmikDebris »

I would recommend one of the "newer" river running/creekboat designs like H3, Burn, Remix, and anything with a slightly flatter hull. They'll be more fun to surf than a Cascade and won't be as heavy and cumbersome. Don't get me wrong, the Cascade is a fun boat and if it's cheap it would probably be worth picking one up. Playboats are good cause you get lots of roll practice and edge practice. I bet you could find a XXX/Forplay, Switch, Centrifuge/Ultrafuge or other older, longer playboat for cheap and have a hades of a time with it.
jededmon
Pain Boater

Post by jededmon »

I currently paddle a Detonator-- class 2-3 river running primarily.... the cascade I'm looking at is in pretty good shape- 250 with skirt
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

the cascade is old as dirt and probably more of a pig than your OC. Boats have advanced quite a bit in the last 18 years.

I think you should by the h3 for sale here....way better boat and a good deal to boot.
Larry
insolence
CBoats Addict

Post by insolence »

Hi

I made the experience that in the beginning, due to lack of experience and skills, one hardly can tell what boat is appropriate to the own wants and needs

so at first I would buy the cheapest thing you can find since you probably will want something new very soon. after a certain period you develop a feeling what you want and need, what kind of boat and paddling you like - if you're lucky the boat you had taken for your start is still appropriate, but usually you want something else that's corresponding better to you. and most paddlers have collected severals boats .....

of course listen tho the experienced paddlers so you don't buy total large steaming pile of dog doo, but actually for the first moves it doesn't matter too much what canoe you choose

so why not the cascade? if you want something more modern or playful, you still can buy one after a while, because now you can't tell anyway if you want a playboat or creeker, or wether you prefer something forgiving or something fast and technically demanding in whitewhater

I startet with one playboat (not even knowing it was a playboat) and then changed to two boats - one smaller and radical C1 for freestyle wich I would never ride in whitewater for which I have another c1- and there it took me a while that I don't like voluminous boats, but rather fast, small responsive ones instead
it's gettin hot
I MAKE THE WATER BURN
purple orange flames
blaze where I put my paddle
Jon Serfas
C Boater

Post by Jon Serfas »

I have a H:3 on this forum for sale.
JON SERFAS
oc ender
C Guru

Post by oc ender »

You still have it for sale,that fella' lookin' for a c-1 this is the one to buy.Stable,responsive and friggin' dirt cheap and has all the gear.I bought one and love it,i paddled a nitro but the h-3 is the way to go(6ft-200lbs)7inch saddle.
That wasn't carnage,watch this...
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

Buy it if it is cheap especially if there is a skirt. When you outgrow the boat you can sellskirt and pedestal