Converting a WS Z - questions

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Converting a WS Z - questions

Post by jscottl67 »

Thanks to Jack, I now have a bare hull to convert to a C1 and can't wait to get started on the project. I know that I'm not the first to convert one of these so I thought I would ask the experts. I had a couple of questions before I get started but a little background first.

The hull is completely bare, no foam supports or anything. I am planning on doing a fencerail conversion and using straps, not a bulkhead. This was one of the "soft" hulls that came out so I got it for free (again..thanks Jack!!) so it will probably not see anything above Class III. When I get good enough to worry about something bigger, will invest money in a better hull ;)

1) Foam pillars - 2 types of foam listed at Sweet ~ L200 & M200 - should I use the M200 or the L200 I already have?

2) Saddle Position - I know that the seat is adjustable, but where is my starting point for this boat.

3) Skirt - guessing the tunnel might need to be offset from a 'yak version. Yes/No and good sources?

4) Flotation bags- needed or just a waste of time? 2 or 4?

Thanks ;)
CDawg
Pain Boater

Three float bags

Post by CDawg »

I use three float bags, that leaves room for a small drybag and throwbag, and maybe a little extra gear. I do not have a Z, but in the Forplay and X I have the seatback about 8 1/2 to 9 inches from the inside of the cockpit rim. I try to set mine up so that I have the ability to make some adjustment to seat position.
Ed Eout
C Boater

xyz

Post by Ed Eout »

Hey bro, I have one of those Z thingys too. Seat position puts my back 9 inches from the inside edge of the cockpit rim. Could probably move up another 1/2 inch but a little forward lean does the trick. My IR skirt is off the rack K model, seems to work fine.
This boat does like to be paddled with your weight well forward. Any back lean makes it stall and your roll should be pretty good if you are in the habit of leaning back going over a drop.
I use two float bags - highly recommended!!! Your mates will cuss you if they have to chase a bag less Z.

Jim Norton did a super clean installation of a variation of the fence rail conversion. He had photos posted somewhere. Do a search for his name and WS X conversion in this forum.

You can do a lot in this boat, it'll take care of you pretty well.
have fun or go home!
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I forgot which foam is more dense. Just ask Jennifer when you call & she'll hook you up.

From the outside edge of the cockpit rim to the front of the backrest is 9" in the Big EZ & 8" in the Forplay. This trims the boats roughly neutral. I'll bet the Z won't be far off these numbers. Put it together w/o glue, paddle it & get someone who's oppinion you trust to eyeball it. Then measure from your back to the outside edge of the cockpit rim. This is also the measurement that the skirt maker will need for tunnel placement.

Most of the time you can get by w/ a 'yak skirt, but custom tunnel placement is nice. I would imagine that Skirtworks? would do one for you for a little more $$.

If you nail your rolls every time & never break a paddle you don't need floatation. Last year I broke two paddles & swam each time. Your buddies will thank you for having floatation in the boat.
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Re: xyz

Post by jscottl67 »

Ed Eout wrote:I use two float bags - highly recommended!!! Your mates will cuss you if they have to chase a bag less Z.

Jim Norton did a super clean installation of a variation of the fence rail conversion. He had photos posted somewhere. Do a search for his name and WS X conversion in this forum.

You can do a lot in this boat, it'll take care of you pretty well.
I've heard good things about the boat, which is why I jumped at the chance. I'm going to do the conversion with Jim's setup..looks really straightforward and easy. What size bags are you using in the Z? I haven't measured jet, and trying to guestimate how far I can get in there with bags once the pillars are in is just that.. a guess. ;)
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

The M200 minicell is allegedly the same density, but a little bit stiffer. However, it is also a little bit more expensive and only available in 1/2 bun and larger quantities. I believe that many of us have used the L200 for both pedestals and walls without a problem. If that is what you already have, I would go with it.

John