2" quick release cam buckles

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

CDawg
Pain Boater

2" quick release cam buckles

Post by CDawg »

I'm having trouble staying in one of my boats, WS X c-1. I'm thinking that if I replace the 1" straps with a 2" strap I might stay put a little better. Can anyone direct me to a source for the 2" cam type quick release buckles (I'm thinking of the type used on a rescue vest) and anchor hdw?

Thanks, 8)
Dennis
kneeler
C Guru

Post by kneeler »

Those buckles typically suck. The gates pop off under pressure. I stopped using them because they fail when you really need them.

You can find them at EMS. They're usually behind the counter in a tray of buckles, clips, and the like. I've seen them at various other outfitters in the Northeast.
East Coast Canoes
C Guru

Post by East Coast Canoes »

CDawg,
what exactly are you looking for?
i make custom straps and buckle combos.
i sell the webbing and buckles seperatly or sewned to your specs.
the cam buckles i use are plastic but made better than some of the cheaper ones also they come with a grab ball for easy finding
let me know
john
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Good thoughts on straps and buckles. I put 2'' strap in most of my boats now. Others add a second stapping system lower on the leg (Mikey Lee style).

You might also want to look at installing a bulk head (or suicide block) in conjunction so that you really are "wearing" your boat.

Others add versions of butt blocks (higher seat back) and hip pads as well. Although I'm not real found of hip pads others swear by them!

Just random thoughts!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
East Coast Canoes
C Guru

good info PAC
the Mike Yee outfitting is good for open boats but in a C1 it gets cramped up if you using a compression block
here's a couple of examples of straps and blocks
ImageImageImage
let em know
john
CDawg
Pain Boater

The pic of the strap in your post

Post by CDawg »

Hi John

The pic of the strap in your post, with the ball attached to the release, looks exactly like what I'd need. I'd still need to locate the anchor hardware to bolt it in top & bottom. I had some old aircraft seatbelt anchors that would have been perfect (looks like a triangle with a slot on one side and bolt hole in opposite corner), but they got tossed. Any idea on where to get the anchor setup?

On second thought, I should ask if you even use the metal anchors, it looks from the pic that you have holes through the webbing. Thanks for the info.
East Coast Canoes
C Guru

Cdawg,
here a couple of pics of some anchors, i can make any setup you need , any configuire
just let me know
john

ImageImage
beach
Pain Boater

Post by beach »

I installed Snowboard straps in my Wheelboy (suggested on Cboats), and plan to add a similar set-up to my Fink. Works perfectly for me. E-mail me for photos if it might help
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I've been using 2" plastic cam-buckles from a dive shop for years. I've only broken one so far. The problem I've found is that the clearance differs on them. Some are good for the diver's weight belt & some are good for seat-belt material.

I like a lap-belt / bulkhead system to keep me in the boat. Here's a link to a Forplay that I had a while back: http://cboats.net/c_db/list.php?type=5& ... me=Forplay

Looks like East Coast Canoes has some good options.
msims
CBoats Addict

Post by msims »

GO to cip1.ca - they sell VW cam buckles (similar to airplane buckles, only steel). I've had mine for a few years now, no rust. You can get two pairs for about 60 buck. It comes with straps too. I just drill a hole through the top of the buckle and BLAMMO you have a hole for a grab loop.
-- Cya
Marc Evans
C Guru

VW Seat Belts

Post by Marc Evans »

I'm with msims on this one. I bought a couple of VW seatbelts from Cip1 ($34.00 for two at the time, now $21.00 each) and really like them. A cord between the two and with one pull they are both released. No chance of a hang-up like the cam type or snow board buckles. I check them periodically, but have seen no rust or corrosion. There are some photos of my Finkenmeister set-up at the following URL:

http://picasaweb.google.com/53kimbo/FinkenmeisterSetUp

Marc
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

do not use these as a lap belt... please!

i'm a big fan of airline belts or vw style belts... drill a hole in the lever... insert a short piece of rope and an easy to find grab handle... one pull and your out... no binding due to belt being loomed or looped through a plastic buckle... and what ever you do... don't ever use push button style automotive seat belts.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/Lap-Seat-Belts ... _10110.jcw