Advantages of an OC1?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Wndwalkr
C Boater

Advantages of an OC1?

Post by Wndwalkr »

I just finished my run on the Lower Yough on Saturday, after spending 7.5 hours on the water playing hard, needless to say my knees were a bit stiff. I slowly climbed out of my boat and sat in the cool water to get things working again. About that time a fella on a sit-on-top paddled over to me and asked me what were the advantages of paddling an OC1?

You know he must have caught me at a bad time, (soaking my sore knees and trying to get ready for the killer carry up the hill to the shuttle bus with my 70# OC1) I said you know at this point I'm just not sure.

I thought about this later and still had a hard time coming up with any big advantage. I guess I paddle an OC1 because that's all I have ever known.

Mike
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

The only advantage is that it gives the most enjoyment. If you don't like it more than other modes, sore knees, bailing, etc. aside, well then, you might as well switch over.

Same with telemark skiing. It's hard to win an argument on how either open boating or telemarking or an advantagous choice technically. However, for some people there's obviously much more to it than the technical aspects of what's easier, more efficient, or makes the most sense.

I don't open boat because it makes sense or is easy, I do it because I like it, and that would be my answer:

Q: "What are the advantages of OC-1?"
A: "I just like it the best."

Pat.
dawgpaddle
c

FANTASTIC ANSWER!!

Post by dawgpaddle »

yarnellboat wrote:The only advantage is that it gives the most enjoyment. If you don't like it more than other modes, sore knees, bailing, etc. aside, well then, you might as well switch over.

Same with telemark skiing. It's hard to win an argument on how either open boating or telemarking or an advantagous choice technically. However, for some people there's obviously much more to it than the technical aspects of what's easier, more efficient, or makes the most sense.

I don't open boat because it makes sense or is easy, I do it because I like it, and that would be my answer:

Q: "What are the advantages of OC-1?"
A: "I just like it the best."

Pat.
WHAT A WONDERFUL RESPONSE!!! amen!! :D
Danny
C Boater

Post by Danny »

If Jackson ever makes canoes prehaps OC-1 guys will be comfy too. Sweet Cheeks and Happy Knees! We could use some inovation.
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

I think the biggestadvantage is in learning. You have to have more efficient stroke to paddle a canoe, and it forces you to think ahead and plan (have goals) in a rapid.
I started in a yak and got to a point where I was comfy in the boat enough to blunder my way around easy whitewater, but couldnt put my boat where I wanted it when i needed it.
Even in easy whitwater you have to be able to avoid the sharper rocks and manuver around so not to run over you friends.
Proud Yankee
solo_konoe
Pain Boater

Post by solo_konoe »

Last edited by solo_konoe on Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

nice to have you aboard, kevin!
Joe
PincheLocoGringo
Pain Boater

Post by PincheLocoGringo »

Tough learning curve, tippy boats, sore knees, bad swims. Why would anyone try to open boat? To hear a raft full of pretty girls ask if you are OK and tell you how cool you just looked swimming through that rapid. What are the advantages of an OC-1? The chicks dig 'em.
If common sense were the prevailing wage, I'd always be broke.
greybear
C Guru

Post by greybear »

Sore body parts just comes with most activities, even office workers suffer from pain. One most be determined to keep going thats my goal. Get beat-up heal and do it again. OC-1's demand respect from other boaters, I was on the NRG the other only open out there. When Yakers see a OC-1 run lower Keeney sucessfully, they respect and think your a little off, but the chicks in the rafts love it.
Greybear
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

I think the advantage of OC is height (visibility), the control/power of a single blade, and the ease of getting in and out of the boat. I'm sure there are other technical advangates as well as disadvantages and some of those 3 can be had in other boats (C1 and SOT respectively) but those 3 combined are somewhat OC specific.

Really, it's a matter of personal choice and preference.
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

With their greater volume and momentum, OC1s can bridge some holes that can stop a smaller decked boat dead in its tracks.
cmnypny
CBoats Addict

Post by cmnypny »

You forgot the obvious .... beer and cooler and lunch?
Blog: http://cmnypny.blogspot.com/
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmnypny/sets/
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)
Jason C

Post by Jason C »

Easier to stand up and jump on a rock/ in a eddy
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

You have access to everything while in an OC. You can adjust outfitting (straps, pegs, etc.) on the fly. Oh and if anything itches, you can scratch it. :oops:
Louie

Post by Louie »

Duh, let see, legs under deck chest and head pinned to the same deck as the water beatin on your back, from the drop you just screwed up, makeing it imposible to to get out of the boat. No , no advantage at all in havind your feet agains the bottom of the boat, in a croutchin position ready to use some of the strongest muscels in your body to spring out of the boat. Of course if you weren't sittin with your butt just a couple of inches off the water in the first place, you might has seen the pinnin rock you just stuck the bow of your buttboat under. Plus your <edited> kayak buddies are scare of and have no practice swimmin whitewater so they just set around ringin their hand, blowin thier stupid whistles and cryin about you dyin. <edited>