OC1 Creek Boat Advice

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

PE MAXIM

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Ok so here is the deal Greg has givin me the green light to go PE in the maxim. So now it is just a matter of time hopefully by the first of the year ( nopromises here it may be the end of JAN. Byt the Maxim will be in a material other than Royalex, but so will all our boats by spring
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Mohawk not using royalex

Post by Mikey B »

Ok Richard...we're all ears...no royalex next year. Pray tell?
GReat news on the PE Maxim!
MB
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Boats

Post by 2opnboat1 »

It is a totaly new deal, it will be light and strong we have been playing with it and have great hope. Taht is about all we are going to say about this until we release it. It should be very durable. The thing that is taking us so long is this dam move, but it is for the best. So yes we are working overtime to make this happen keep your eyes on us we are going places. :wink:
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

I have to say I never tried out the SF myself but here's what I can understand so far: many people south uses it for creeking I am sure it is great for steep low volume runs like most of the ones you people have south. Don't even tell me it is big generality as I know but just speaking here...

Here in quebec the creeks we have are much more high volume spring creeks, again, generally speaking and we don't see so many SFs around. People are playing with them but most boaters also have another boat as well for creeking. You do ideally need a longer boat with more speed to punch through holes and fight coutercurrants when on high volume steep runs. This is a big part of the reason why people loves the skeeter up here; does better than the SF on high volume and is still more playable than the prelude.

Just my 2 pennies.. And again, what do I know, many folks plays in the prelude and some have ran the grand canyon in a SF! :roll:

I'll bet the l'edge is gonna see some great interest around here for the same reason... 8)
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

I can't comment on the boats, cuz imo all open boats are just a pain in the butt. :wink:
But, if your going to paddle the smith let me know.
Larry
golder
CBoats Addict

Post by golder »

i haven't paddled a ton of different boats, so i dont have the greatest basis of comparison. that said, i just got a fly this summer, and i really have been enjoying it for creeking on davidson and wilson at lower flows here in western nc. i like how responsive for making last second corrections, its small enough to throw around a bit when you need to squeeze thru funky lines, the bulk head set up makes hoping in and out to scout or deal w/ whatever comes up (rescue situations, helping out a friend, etc). also, the durability is quite a plus.

all that said, when things get big and pushy, i take my nitro for the extra speed and ability to punch thru meatier holes etc. i know there are folks out there (better boaters than i) who paddle their flies in bigger water, but i aint quite there yet.

having a spanish fly is great, and i paddle it whenever i can. but having a longer, more tradition canoe is definitely a must for me when the levels start to come up...

inspite of all my praise for the fly, i really like my nitro as well--though it did take a while for me to 'grow into it'.

there is my 2 pesos worth....
ain't nothin but water, rocks, and gravity
agrestal
C Guru

Post by agrestal »

Can't wait to try the Maxim in PE!
canoera hasta la muerte
www.CostaRicaRios.com
boofalicious
c

Post by boofalicious »

Thanks everybody for the advice. This is great stuff. I hope to test-drive several of these boats soon!

Thanks again,

Boof
biggreenjefe
C Boater

Post by biggreenjefe »

I'm in with the S.Fly as a good creeker also. Boofs great. Can spin on a dime or a wave and change direction in a flash. The short length lets you work the corners and edges if you need to on the bigger stuff. I often find myself using waves to surf from one side or location to the other or to spin and hesitate. The planing hull and short length help a lot. Yeah it's wet, but stable when full and still easy to handle. I had a Phantom and literally thought it was dangerous when full of water. Speed...well for me personally you have to have skill to be able to utilize speed, and since I don't have much , SF speed is not an issue for me. Would love to have a Prelude, too. I'm much more interested in secondary stability than primary, because that's when I think it really counts. And with a roundy hull you have only one paddling surface, whereas with hard chines you have 3...each edge and your bottom...much better IMHO. Ready to see the L'edge also. Oh, and I've never felt the SF is hard to roll. When it goes over, it goes all the way. Doesn't hang halfway like an Ocoee or Viper (2 boats I love) could.