the L'edge deck semi chop

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

busterblue
CBoats Addict

the L'edge deck semi chop

Post by busterblue »

So I'm thinking about opening up the top of my L'edge. Not the full chop with gunwales. Just the partial chop -- cutting holes in the decks, basically.

Any words of wisdom for me? What's a good shape to cut out? What's the best tool to use? Will I need to add thwarts on the ends? Or does that depend on how far I cut? Oh, and where can I obtain lacing for the airbags?
hankrankin
C Guru

Re: the L'edge deck semi chop

Post by hankrankin »

I've never cut open a ledge but if i was going to i would get together a tape measure, a sharpie, and a jigsaw.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I use black parachute cord for lacing as it's strong enough to clip to for some boat recovery techniques.leave an inside edge on the top giving you something to attach a thwart too if needed. It also stiffens the edge where a gunwale would be.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

If you get on Facebook and look for "Esquif L'Edge" you'll see TONS of pics of modified L'Edges that have been tagged. Great resource for those needing some inspiration.
avlclimber
C Guru

Post by avlclimber »

make sure your design doesn't have hard right angles. I've seen big ole splits from the right-angle cutout down the nose of a boat after a hard hit. Sturdy and friendly rounded corners should prevent this.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Eli's

Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

Thanks for the replies. Gears are turning...
If you get on Facebook and look for "Esquif L'Edge" you'll see TONS of pics of modified L'Edges that have been tagged. Great resource for those needing some inspiration.
Sounds awesome, but when I search for "Esquif L'edge" in Facebook, it just just "0 Results." Any suggestions?

(I'm afraid Facebook can smell my instinctual distrust. I also searched for "Westfest", but there was only 1 result, and it was not canoe related. Supposedly, there is also a mythic Facebook page for the GDI, which fails to show up in my search results. So frustrating. And I generally pride myself as being computer savvy. What's the secret, Smurf!)
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

busterblue wrote:Thanks for the replies. Gears are turning...
Sounds awesome, but when I search for "Esquif L'edge" in Facebook, it just just "0 Results." Any suggestions?

(I'm afraid Facebook can smell my instinctual distrust. I also searched for "Westfest", but there was only 1 result, and it was not canoe related. Supposedly, there is also a mythic Facebook page for the GDI, which fails to show up in my search results. So frustrating. And I generally pride myself as being computer savvy. What's the secret, Smurf!)
Esquif L'Edge - http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002945290905" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WestFest - http://www.facebook.com/events/243945635663186/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GDI - http://www.facebook.com/groups/GDIh20/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

Consider leaving the water deflector like Eli has done. When you cut it off it leaves a big sharp ridge on the "gunnel" that really hurts the knuckles.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Looking at Eli's, I wonder if having more of a radiused cut where the "deflector" meets the side makes sense...
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Zach's

Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
old
Pain Boater

Post by old »

Torre has cut one like Eli's and one like Zach's. The one like Zach's will be cut again to add wood gunnels and plates. Sharpe, ruler, tape, jigsaw. Measure twice or three times, look, take time. Then think again, look and then cut.
Hey Tim, What rapid is this?
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

Esquif L'Edge - http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002945290905" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WestFest - http://www.facebook.com/events/243945635663186/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GDI - http://www.facebook.com/groups/GDIh20/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks, Matt!

These pictures are great. Keep 'em coming. It seems like folks are still leaving a lot of the decks. How much can you take off before you compromise the structure? I was thinking of stopping just short of the handles.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

busterblue wrote:How much can you take off before you compromise the structure? I was thinking of stopping just short of the handles.
That would probably be fine if you just add a thwart at the front and rear. Leave little "tabs" of plastic to bolt the thwarts to, just like the stock thwarts are bolted to.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Todd- thanks for hooking him up with the links. You rock