GauleyFest ROCKED

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

GauleyFest ROCKED

Post by iRolled »

Just got home from my first Gauley Fest, it was great.

Got there on thursday night to set up-camp, and ran the Lower Gauley on Friday. It wasn't as big and bad as I had anticipated, and I was with a group of boaters that we're well experienced and knew all the lines. We had eight single-blades in our group and saw a few other Openboats on the river also. The water wasn't overwhelming, but it did have some BIG waves. When you reached the top of one, it felt as if the momentum threw you up off the saddle, It was awesome. It was a good run to get a good feel of bigwater. Overall we had a great day and en even better night at camp.

On Saturday, we met at the put-in for the Upper Gauley. I got to meet some new people and saw some familiar faces. I admit it took forever at the put-in. The shuttle isn't the greatest and getting 20 openboaters at the put-in at the same time wasn't easy. (Who's Idea was this anyway) After atleast one hour of waiting, we were off. The put-in was a colorful scene. There were long boats, short boats, openboats, and decked boats. But every one had a single blade and no skirt's. Except for Chad Lewis (C1). Now the upper was a whole different story. Less flat-water, and more rapids. Bigger, rapids. The lines were big, and so were the holes, but everything was great. I did ave an out of boat experience at IronRing, and Sweets Falls but I came out laughing, each time screaming (let's do that again). At Pillow, I had to sum up all my courage after scouting it for about 20 minutes. It was a bit intimidating I admit but, I aced it. Also I got to see another Open Boater do a sick seal launch off of Pillow Rock. He was upside down before he hit the water but managed to roll a few yards downstream, near volkswagon rock. (much props to the mystery boater). The only downside to this great run was the take-out. It was a complete cluster-duck. When we got there the last shuttle had just loaded up and it was every man for himself. It was a buzzkill, but i'll get over it.

To top off the weekend I went down to the festival. I was the brown gentleman with two beers in each hand. It was cool. Boats, beer, and gear. There were the good, the wierd, and the shaddy, it was great though. I will definitely be back next year. Wow, what a weekend.
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

had an awesome time hanging out with the gdi posse this weekend. alex, you are a scholar and a gentleman, a good cook, and a heckuva nice guy! good to see some old friends and make some new ones as well.

enjoyed getting to see the first timers on the lower friday as well as the drunken maniacal grin on sean's face surfing at PSH.

there was a shifty little fella who stole my leatherman. had a mustache and some mexican sandals, didn't catch his name. :wink: although he did make sure i got a taco from someone when i showed up late and was waiting for my food.

glad to see mick and joe and company on the lower. it brightened up an otherwise somewhat difficult day of being way overdressed in a drytop and having to keep up with a raft trip from mason's branch to lower freaking swiss in a c1 playboat.

even saw at least 3 tandems out on the lower as well.
Louie

Post by Louie »

yOU SHOULD HANG OUT AT YOUR CAMP SITE MORE i TRIED TO GIVE THAT dam LETHERMAN to everyone there and no one wanted it. I still have it and will mail it to you give me an address.

Alex did you forget to mention one swim in particular??? The seive at innatation you swum. More than one have die in that seive.

I think someone might have mention to you that if we missed the last shuttle you weren't goin to like it, but no you had to spend 30 minutes at each class five. My boat made the last shuttle.

Good to see you steppin up your game.
kimmieOC1
C Guru

Post by kimmieOC1 »

Maybe that's why he's called SwimmingMexican - 'cause he knows how to swim the s#!$. :D
malone
Pain Boater

Post by malone »

I would like to thank everyone on both days for showing me the lines and holding my beer while I got hammered. I really think that I had a good time....can't quite remember all of it now :oops: It was a pleasure to paddle with some of the best openboaters in the world, I was able to learn a few lessons, usually the hard way.I would like to thank my shuttle driver Dave aka Chattanooga Dave, the guy with the broken arm & beer. Good Times had by all....Mmmm Apple Pie!!! Thanks Gabe, Alex, what can I say...We Ran the sugar cookie! "You probably don't want to surf the hole at Iron Ring, kinda munchy :lol: ..."
got some good deals at the fest too.
Go Big...
iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

Post by iRolled »

Yup, thanks Shawn, Gabe, Photon, and everyone else that showed me the lines. I felt extremely safe, even when I was swiming. Maybe thats why I swam, I may have been too safe. Ehh, I'll get over it.
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

I had an awesome time too!!! Sorry I missed you guys on Saturday with the open boat crew, but I had a sweet UG run on Friday with McGnarlz and wanted to join some friends on the lower. I'm glad McGnarlz got upside down in my Prelude, its not used to that.

I have some sweet pictures on my Picasa Page... some of the UG on Friday, then the Lower Gauley on Saturday (Mick, Paul, Tony and Joe's run)

Gauley Fest 2010 Pics!!!! - <--- click link

McGnarlz... Friday UG run, Iron Ring Rapid

Mick Knox, Saturday LG run, Upper Mash Rapid

More pics on Picasa... I'll be posting these to Facebook eventually, but if you want to download and post them, help yourself for any non-commercial purpose... or a commercial purposes if some PBR's are in my future
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

malone wrote:I would like to thank everyone on both days for showing me the lines and holding my beer while I got hammered. I really think that I had a good time....can't quite remember all of it now :oops: It was a pleasure to paddle with some of the best openboaters in the world, I was able to learn a few lessons, usually the hard way.I would like to thank my shuttle driver Dave aka Chattanooga Dave, the guy with the broken arm & beer. Good Times had by all....Mmmm Apple Pie!!! Thanks Gabe, Alex, what can I say...We Ran the sugar cookie! "You probably don't want to surf the hole at Iron Ring, kinda munchy :lol: ..."
got some good deals at the fest too.
Shawn - enjoyed the show ... and way to go :o BIG !

Seen some new (intentional) open boat hole riding that was sic.... think iron ring top hole and woodstock, in same run.... and 'the' pure screaming 'hades' hole. Not to shabby for your first OC-Gauley run. And YES for bringing Super Dave - the one (broken) arm shuttle man. And yes a big way to go, to Gabe (opps'flipped) on the 3 quarts of apple pie... it definitely made for good camping.

BTW - Shawn's only been open boating since Dec, so he still squirts his FLY a bit... just like his old boat.

It was also good to see you can take a canoe down the Gauley... just about anywhere you'd like to. Out of a nearly twenty strong group, there was always 3 or 4 lines in play. And to my amazement practically everyone that started together - stayed grouped up in one super sized group - nearly together - or in eye sight. Met a lot of good open boaters... who showed everyone how to have fun... and be safe... all at the same time. Sure I missed alot of the out front action, but there was also a lot happening in the rear. And a BIG THANKS to Johnny-Applebong for taking over as official sweep.. and for doing that megga-shuttle late Saturday (Deb - rocked in the van - too).
Last edited by philcanoe on Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

markzak wrote:Image
Mick Knox, Saturday LG run, Upper Mash Rapid
Sweet boof, Mick!
Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

Nice photos!
Louie

Post by Louie »

did we ever find out why Deb was in such a good mood when she went to drive shuttle and in not so much of a good mood when she came back?
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Pretty Sure... dropping off half a load of boats on the shuttle, had a little something to do with it.... sorry about that Big-Green-Hefe (with the new L'edger)
Louie

Post by Louie »

He cut the decks out of his boat today and lost 6.5 lbs, he is bring it over in a few minutes. I have talked to Bob and he is pickin up the Gunnels any day now.

You don't think Applebong had been drinkin do ya? I mean how could he he was on the river all day right?
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Nice pic Mark! Mick should be please with that! :-)

Nice seeing folks this weekend including meeting Louie.... rumors seem true... seems like a nice enough fellow .... even if he is from that part of TN! ;-) Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Louie

Post by Louie »

Pac don't go with first impressions, you really have to get to know me to like me and then you still might not like me. I take it you were the only Gentlemen at the breakfast table I didn't know?