WTB cheaper int-adv whitewater boat

Any Boat, Gear, or outdoor related item you have for sale. If you use it on a paddling trip, or to prepare for one, it's fair game.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

WTB cheaper int-adv whitewater boat

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

I'm looking to find a boat around the PA, MD, OH, NJ, NY area for around $500 or trade for XL13 and ME. Looking for boat that is shorter than 12ft. Hard chined preferably.

There's a few boats that i'd rather have, but at the price I'm looking for, beggers can't be choosers. If your willing to sell a boat around the price or make a trade, let me know. I'm looking to step it up for the upcoming season. My skills have progressed past both of my current boats, and need a boat that can help me get to the next level.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Three words:

New Wave Acrobat

(full cut).

Not an open boat, but there are a few for sale below, and would be a step up, as well as a step in a different direction.
Keep the C!
Adam
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Will go to C1 at somepoint, for sure. Althrough my heart will always be with the OC...
jmcallis

Intersted in a detonator?

Post by jmcallis »

I would sell you my esquif detonator, it is outfitted and setup for a pump. $500 without airbags.

I live in laurel, md. Email for details oc1jason@yahoo.com

Jason
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

what do you guys think? detonator a good boat to progress too?!? It's one of the boats i've been lookin at.

How is it in comparison to the ME and XL13? I know they are tough to compare to the detonator, but I just want to know waht to expect a little bit.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
zappaddles
Pain Boater

Post by zappaddles »

No real comparrison of the Detonator to XL13 or the ME. If you can keep the boat under you and the chines off of the rocks you'll like it.

Paddled both and owned a Nitro (bigger version of the Detonator).

Looking forward to the ME pics.

Vince
Zappaddles
"I'm with you fellers"
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

like vince said, no real comparison. it'll seem squirrely at first,(compared to me & xl) but you'll quickly find it to be quite stable. i think it's a great boat to progress in, and if the chines aren't worn out then thats a reasonable price. i'm in eastern pa, if you'd like to demo mine sometime i'm on the water most weekends
Joe
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

I paddled an Me exclusively up till 2 years ago, at the time I tried out gumpys bran new Detonator. Me at 230 lbs found it a scquirrely little boat but managable in what I was paddling my ME in Class II+. Wanting to step up I got a nitro. Super awesome but more tuned to big guy, big water.

It'll feel like you lost half your boat if you havnt paddled any smaller boats yet but will allow you to progress fast and be a better boater
Proud Yankee
jrsh92
C Guru

Post by jrsh92 »

How different does the Detonator feel from a Nitro? I am really light for a Nitro (150) so I guess a bigger guy in the smaller Detonator may have different results. But, I find the Nitro to be anything BUT squirrely, I call in "the Tank"... I haven't paddled it alongside my C-1 which is what I'm most used to, but I've compared it to a Spark and Zoom and found it to be MUCH more slow, more stable, less responsive than either of them. it has some edge to it, but the stability and size make it feel a lot less edgy-- it wasn't going to flip, and even using the edges it doesn't turn that fast, you could get away paddling it very passively. I guess a lot of this might be due to it being a huge boat for me, though. Maybe, a Spark Atom and Zoom being the main other boats I've spent time in makes me expect more speed and less stability from a boat... still it just don't feel squirrely to me.
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

the squirrlely factor was just a comparison from the ME.

the detonator turns much faster and is more responsive but nock off a bit of the speed and a touch of the stability.
Proud Yankee
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

best bet is try before you buy.
Joe
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

the motto so far has been to buy when you see a good deal. Adjusting to the boat shouldnt be that big of a deal. Im happy to have a real boat now; so whenever i get another one...it can be compared a lil more closely to the det.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com