Quality paddle ? ( NOT Werner )

Any Boat, Gear, or outdoor related item you have for sale. If you use it on a paddling trip, or to prepare for one, it's fair game.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

bigspencer07
Pain Boater

Post by bigspencer07 »

Echo CreekStick, Gala's DoubleTorque shaft!!(haven't decided on what blade though;-)...but due to 2nd year of thumb-rehab I'll be going wood. 8) Both are great...along with a Mitchell..(?) long time ago.
CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Post by CosmikDebris »

Mitchells are great if you are paddling deep water and the blades don't contact rock, otherwise they fall apart quickly. Werner Bandits feel terrible and wear down, but won't break. I have had a Galasport Magnum for several months now and it has held up really well and feels a lot better than the Bandit in my opinion. I would check it out, they aren't too expensive either, although I don't remeber the price and their website seems to be down at the moment (www.galasportusa.com). Plus, they have a nice big Tgrip.
will
bigspencer07
Pain Boater

...yeah!....

Post by bigspencer07 »

That does look like a good choice Cosmik.. 8) Sounds like it'll be more durable than their others...thanks..
Steve
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

The galasport magnum is really nice. I seemed to have really bad luck with them though, i broke three of them in 2 1/2 years before i had to give 'em up. I also broke an all wood mitchel a couple of times..
Never broke my bandit. i don't really like it, but it did get a lot of use as a back-up for the magnums. also never broke the old harmony paddles.
the h2o paddle i got last year is proving to be a great paddle. It seems to be indestructable, is light enough, and feels much better than the bandit, but not quite as "nice" as the magnum.
Larry
onepaddlejunkie
c

ZRE

Post by onepaddlejunkie »

ZRE Power Curve @ 22oz. I broke several “T” grips before they figured out what the problem was, and I’m on the second blade as I wore the first one out. The only thing original is the shaft. If I snap it in two tomorrow I will be on the phone ordering another one. Yeah, you can break anything if you are rough enough, but does the paddle make you happy? My ZRE makes me happy.
In the interest of full disclosure, I’m a rep for ZRE and I’m a rep because I love the paddles.
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Sawyer C1 Whitewater, all wood w/ dynel wrap. Straight-grained white ash, I believe. Light,warm, balanced and hard to break. Best part; under $100.
dance for rain
SMS
c

Gpower

Post by SMS »

It is worth to check out new product that was tested in France, Spain, Australia, Canada and USA and has positive recomendations .
C-1 / C-2 paddle Typhoon has great shape and awesome quality.

Available in three sizes (S,M,L) and two versions (soft and stiff).

Check this out www.gpower.pl
Jim P
C Guru

Wood is good!

Post by Jim P »

Broke two Sawyer Stingrays in a year. Just a good strong fwd stroke, no rock contact and shafts snapped.

Had a custom Jimi Stick made and never looked back. Beat the tar out if it for three + years, finally wore through the dynel - had it refurbished and its good as new! Initally it a big price outlay, but figure it should last for more than 10 years and it costs out very reasonable. Just be sure to hang on to it.

:o
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

SMS, I checked out the gpower site but could not find the Typhoon paddle you recommended.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SMS
c

TYPHOON

Post by SMS »

Hi Brian,

We did not post the pictures of the Typhoon on the web yet.

I am going to have a good quality pictures this weekend.

I will send it to you or anyone else who would like to see it before we publish on the web.

Later,
edg
C Guru

Typhoon

Post by edg »

Here you go:

http://www.eauxvives.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18154

It's good to know there's a N. American distributor available. If I have any paddle disasters, I'd be interested in the Tsunami...edg
SMS
c

Typhoon vs Tsunami

Post by SMS »

Thanks Edg for publishing the link from France where Tsunami and Typhoon was developed.

We also updated the details on our website incuding pictures.
Now we need to update the English version as well.

BTW, Typhoon is designed for whitewater slalom and typhoon for down river.

Both designs can suits your whitewater and flatewater needs.

sports.sms@gmail.com
www.gpower.pl
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

I think I had one in my hands a while ago, a typhoon.

Is the passive side not a problem? I have the impression it is not solid enough to keep it's water. That might cause problems for rolling, backward paddling, ... .
I just bought a galasport demon. I know someone who did 7 years with it! I hope mine will last about that long!
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

As stated - the Mitchell wood shaft paddles have been very durable, their blades wear out just like everyone else's do...go figure... and they are good and reasonable with their repairs.

I've never had one of their (Mitchell) carbon shafts make it through a single season, no matter how taped up the shaft was... only recommended for the trust fund baby... after having them break in the most inappropriate situations, I'd have to win one to use another, and then only in a slalom type situation... never ever again when my life depended on it or on an extended trip... been there done that, shame on me if ever again...

I've broken everyone's paddle over the years... even the shaft on a Carlisle raft style paddle - although it lasted way longer than anything else...paddles are not investments, they are made to be used.

And finally the word that I hear is Werner will no-longer stand behind their product... two good friends with new paddles (Kayak) have both been refused warranty work, -on nearly $500 paddles ( !!! ) one was practically new and the whole blade face stated to delaminate.
SMS
c

GPOWER

Post by SMS »

jakke wrote:I think I had one in my hands a while ago, a typhoon.

Is the passive side not a problem? I have the impression it is not solid enough to keep it's water. That might cause problems for rolling, backward paddling, ... .
I just bought a galasport demon. I know someone who did 7 years with it! I hope mine will last about that long!
I do not think you had this paddle in your hands a while ago because this product is on the market for 1.5 month only.

Those paddles keeps water (slalom copetitive paddlers are using them) and I would not worry about rolling or backward paddling using typhoons.

If someone doesn't know how to roll then any paddle will not help them either.

SMS