Quality paddle ? ( NOT Werner )

Any Boat, Gear, or outdoor related item you have for sale. If you use it on a paddling trip, or to prepare for one, it's fair game.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

cj11363
c

Quality paddle ? ( NOT Werner )

Post by cj11363 »

I'm in the market for a decent paddle.

My Werner Nantahala lasted just over 7 months before the blade split whilst practicing roles in the pool! I sent it to Werner and they said that the paddle wasn't defective, and that the going price for a repair is $110 ! They did offer to discount the repair price since the paddle was so new, but I'm still thinking about buying a decent paddle.

Before squandering $$$ on a Werner , I had a $35 wooden paddle that lasted me 2 years before I snapped the shaft. So I'm thinking that maybe a wooden blade on a composite shaft is the way to go ?

I've certainly bought my last Werner paddle. Any other suggestions?

thanks,

Charlie Jordan
Nashville, TN
Steward
C Boater

Post by Steward »

Hi Charlie

I'm a fan of Echo paddles. I've got 2 now and just got one back from Andy that I sent in for a tune up. I beat the hades out if it creeking for 2 years and wore the aluminum tip round, and for $60 it looks brand new again.

Andy will custom make them for you as well which is nice. One of mine is a very heavy layup for creeking, the other is lighter for Slalom.

I've also owned Mitchell Paddles, and they make a great paddle as well. I can't find any fault with their product. If it wasn't for Andy's personal touch, I'd would put them pretty even.

H20 Paddles seem pretty good as well. I've only used one for a few days, but was impressed enough to buy one for my daughter. They are very light and seem durable. A little more flex this I like though.

And if you can get a Bailey Blade (which is not an easy task these days) well you Southern boys should know all about Bailey sticks. :)

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above.

Cheers

Steward
Scott C
Pain Boater

Post by Scott C »

DIDO..they are bullet proof for the most part. Just don't put it in the bed of your truck with the tailgate down!
~~~\open side up/~~~
Nate
C Guru

Post by Nate »

Check out Mitchell too. I have a carbon shaft, wooden blade paddle from them, and it has held up unbelievably well.
kneeler
C Guru

Post by kneeler »

I heart Mitchell. I own 5 Mitchell sticks. They can be pricey to buy but they refurbish them for very reasonable prices and the product is of a high quality.

That said, I am NOT a fan of Mitchell's new, thin, tapered carbon shafts. I very much prefer their old, wider carbon shafts. If a carbon shaft is a must for you, consider looking for the old style Mitchell shaft or at another brand.

I really like their wood shaft, composite blade, curved Premier design.
Marc Evans
C Guru

Werner Paddles

Post by Marc Evans »

Charlie:

If you check the Mitchell website in the monthly specials section you will note three whitewater blades for sale at a reduced price. One is a premier with a wood shaft/carbon blade (56 inches) for $200, another is a premier with a wood shaft/wood blade (56 inches) for $180 and the last is an Open Boat White Water paddle (56 inches) for $90. If those fit you need you might call the folks at Mitchell.

Marc
cj11363
c

Post by cj11363 »

I've got mixed feelings about the wood shaft. I like the look & feel of a wood shaft, but I seem to wind up snapping them at some point or another. Of course all of the paddles that I've snapped have been relatively inexpensive ( $25 - $35 ). I see that Mitchell offers an optional fiberglass sleeve on the wooden shaft. Perhaps that's the way to go.

thanks,

- Charlie Jordan
ClassFive Boats
C Guru

Post by ClassFive Boats »

I don't recommend Mitchells. Broke three of them . I even sent Kevlar too Mitchell to put under the carbon to strengthen the balde but still broke them.

My best paddle was a carbon/ kevlar form Galasport with a racing C-2 shaft. Beat the crap out of it and it never broke.

These days Im using a Werner but its the Raft guide paddle "Guide stick". Its a higher grade and thicker blade that the other Werner canoe paddles. A little heavier but has been very tough.
old and in the way
C Guru

Post by old and in the way »

In 27 years of paddling I have only broken one Mitchell, a carbon shaft one, and that was under some pretty severe wilderness use (heavily loaded Grumman in whitewater).

I swear by wood shaft Mitchells, I will never use anything but. I love the feel and flex of wood, hate the stiffness of composite. A wood paddle is alive.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

For playing I really liked my Galasport. It was one of the cheap ones through Drakar. The blade snapped off w/o warning.

I'm using a carbon shaft / curved wood blade Mitchell Premier That I can leave the pogies on during the winter & not worry about rot.

When it really counts I'm using my all wood Mitchell Premier. It's heavier than the carbon jobs, but it won't let you down. I love the curved blade. This one has the carbon covering, but I'll go w/ glass covering next time 'cause they're so much prettier. The stiffness can vary w/ Mitchell so talk to them & let 'em know what you want. I think my wood shaft is stiffer than my carbon shaft.
adamin
CBoats.net Staff

Post by adamin »

A lot of good paddles have been mentioned. Mitchell, Bailey, Galasport, Echo (one of our sponsors!), etc....

The paddle that I have that has seen by far the most use / abuse is a Rough Stuff. Not cheap though. And the water fell isn't as good as the paddles above. You can practically chop wood with it though!

That said, as I already have one (as well as a Mitchell), my next paddle will likely be an Echo and Backlund.

My favorite all time paddle is no longer made :cry: . I wish I had bought 10. they would have lasted me the rest of my life (the first one lasted 10 years).(Schlegal FGC Carbon spoon w/ aluminum tip...18 oz).
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Post by squeakyknee »

MITCHELL!!
may I refer you to a previous post:
http://www.cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic. ... highlight=
I got it for $100 and beat the haeck out of it, broke it, and paid $100 to get it fixed(including shipping :D )
Amiga!!
mshelton
CBoats Addict

Post by mshelton »

I concur with my deaconly brother Squeaky, Mitchell ubah1337.
i r a p|r@t3

yeaaaaaaaarrrrggg
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I have had amazinf success with a Grey Owl - I think it must be the "Hammerhead" :

http://www.greyowlpaddles.com/pages/recreational.html

Except mine has urethane edging all the way around the blade.

I've been pretty rough on paddles and this one has survived 4-5 years...
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

cj11363 wrote:I've got mixed feelings about the wood shaft. I like the look & feel of a wood shaft, but I seem to wind up snapping them at some point or another.
You're generally less likely to snap a wood than a carbon shaft, and you're HIGHLY unlikely to snap a Mitchell wood shaft, unless using it as a jack stand for your house.

As far as blades go, I'm pretty darn hard on paddles, and I occasionally have to send one back to Mitchell for some tip repair, which the cost of is always VERY reasonable.

Pros of carbon shafts are that they are very strong, light, and rigid. Great for racing and other competition- very little flex.

Interestingly, these can be the cons as well. Carbons do break, and when they do it's catastrophic. Also that small amount of flex and great energy transfer is a double edged sword- it works on your bones over time.

I like carbon for training/race, but wood for rivers... but that's just me, and my shoulder, and my elbow talking :)

Galasport does make some mighty fine carbon paddles, and their aramid shaft is supposed to be super strong.

Victor, what the heck are you doing to BREAK Mitchell blades??
JD