WTB - Flatwater Canoes (NE)

Any Boat, Gear, or outdoor related item you have for sale. If you use it on a paddling trip, or to prepare for one, it's fair game.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

kneeler
C Guru

WTB - Flatwater Canoes (NE)

Post by kneeler »

I recently moved to a house on a tidal river in Southwestern Connecticut.

I have a dock and many amenities (market, bars, restaurants, beach, shopping) within paddling distance.

I'd like to pick up a couple canoes. I'm thinking a couple Grumman-type canoes (wide, stable, easy) for guests and one solo boat for me.

Ideally, these boats will have coolers, stereos, and beer holders.
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

Welcome to New England!
Check the neckra.org website classifieds.
JKaz
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

:D Kaz, don't you have a coupla Swamp Hens for the guy? An AC/DC? Souhegan?
amollohan99
Pain Boater

Post by amollohan99 »

typically I would NEVER recommend this canoe. It is fat, slow, ugly and cheap, but i think it is exactly what you want.

http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-Daredevil ... B000E21WY2
kneeler
C Guru

Post by kneeler »

My goodness! That is exactly what I am looking for!

It actually has a cooler and beer holders pre-installed!

Thanks for the tip.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Yeah, I saw an almost-new Pelican broken up under a strainer on the Toccoa, just after the class 2s where the hiker suspension bridge crosses.

If a canoe has to get wrapped, better it is a Pelican.
amollohan99
Pain Boater

Post by amollohan99 »

I see alot of these pelicans around, I think they are a Dick's sporting goods item. My friend in VT, not a boater, has one as well he uses for duck hunting and family fishing days. perfect for those applications, just a clumsy, standard coleman style boat. Sounds like fun. BOating to the bar!
kneeler
C Guru

Post by kneeler »

FLATWATER FLEET UPDATE

I picked up a flatwater warrior on eBay:

Price, $100; No Pic. The description said little more than "Old Town canoe. Includes trolling motor."

I exchanged a few emails with the owner and learned that it is fiberglass and does not leak.

The canoe was 3 hours away and the auction was quickly ending.

I went for it.

It's a beauty. Yellow. It says "White by Old Town" on the side. The floor is covered in fiberglass covered wood and the seats are caned. I'll need to replace the front seat (a new seat is on the way - $30) It has a keel and is 18' long x 36" wide. Rubber gunwales. Low freeboard. Should look pretty slick with some flames painted on the side.

It came with a 3 HP trolling motor with a nearly new 12v marine battery. I'll give it a try but I might try to sell the motor. It's probably worth at least the $100 I paid for the boat. Who knows, with the battery, I might be able to turn a profit!

I'm still looking to buy flatwater canoes but this first vessel is quite a worthy start to my bar-crawling canoe fleet.
amollohan99
Pain Boater

Post by amollohan99 »

I say keep the motor and use it as a salvage vessel for guest who have enbibed too much. Nice score.
RodS
Pain Boater

Post by RodS »

A friend of mine is selling an Old Town Discovery here:
http://www.npmb.com/cms2/forum_viewtopic.php?21.82326

Can't vouch for the boat, but Bill's a nice guy :D
wjblatner
c

Post by wjblatner »

Thanks to Rod for the promo. Price on the Discovery is reduced to $300. Great boat for crashing around. Sorry no cooler, but I'll throw one in for free. Got make room in the condo for a Taureau. The polyethylene hull is pretty indestructible.

You can write me @ wjblatner@hotmail.com if you are interested. I have photos. Northampton, MA.

Bill