Dagger Genesis

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TNbound
CBoats Addict

Dagger Genesis

Post by TNbound »

A dagger genesis has come up for sale locally and I was wondering if it would be a worthy step up from my mad river ME. The choice is sort of between the genesis and saving up for a prelude/spanishfly/maybe a l'edge which I would probably get mid-summer. I'm guessing anything royalex will get chewed up pretty hard on creeks, so I might as well keep on working towards a PE boat?
It'd be so easy to collect every boat that came my way if I had the cash for it. :-?
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
Bill M
C Guru

Keep the ME

Post by Bill M »

It will be better at almost everything. my2 cents
Bill
Louie

Post by Louie »

I think the ME is better than the Gennis.
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

I am with Louie, I have had both and liked the ME.
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

The Genesis works really nicely for two light (and I mean really light) tandem paddlers!!! (no... I'm not kidding)

That being said... the person that owned the one she turned into a tandem boat used to call it the "Genicide"

This same woman married some Psyco guy... :lol:

If it's reasonably cheap and you have kids or want to take kids paddling at some point... go for it. I think it would be easier to paddle with my daughter (and enjoy) than a Caption.
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
ELGOTTO
C Guru

Post by ELGOTTO »

I've never paddled an ME but I own a Genesis and I like mine for certain types of water or if I'm not feeling really sharp when I paddle some river I'm not familar with. It is much shorter at 13 feet 6 inches, is super stable with initial and secondary stabilty, rolls slow but comes back up easily. I don't know what an ME weighs but the Genesis is kinda heavy with vinyl gunnels and the thicker royalex. It also front and side surfs well.
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

Thanks for the input guys.
Craig, I have no kids of my own (I am only 19 after all...) and none to take boating with me. Guess I'll be sticking with the ME for the spring and continuing my search for a fly/prelude!
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

If your ultimate goal is a Fly or Prelude, the Genesis would be a poor substitute or stepping stone. It's a big boat. Excellent solo tripper, which is why I have one, but it's definitely old school.
Louie

Post by Louie »

with three new open boats comin out, granted I don't think many who will be buyin Blackfly will be gettin rid of Spanish Fly's or Preludes, but a couple of the other new boats could result in more used Spanish Fly's, Preludes, and Teaureau comin on the market. Also livin in Maine ( which is really just southern Canada, but with better hockey players) you should be close to where a few would be on sale. You ain't goin to gain a thing by shitcannin a ME to get a Genises. Save you nickel and dime and I heard there is a Spanish Flyy for sale on Waldens Ridge.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

:o I've never had a Genesis, but the Wet Exodus is a boat I know really well.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

ezwater wrote::o I've never had a Genesis, but the Wet Exodus is a boat I know really well.
Hey, I know that one too! :o
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Louie wrote:. . . and I heard there is a Spanish Flyy for sale on Waldens Ridge.
if that was Gary's boat, it's no longer for sale. We been boating some lately, and he's decided that it's too good to part with. He just needed a confidence booster. Believe the plan is for him to be another ALF new-b, having never made the big drive from Hunstville before .(New Market actually - right on TN border)

AND - one more vote for the ME. It's the kind of boat that a competent paddler, can take a rank beginner on a exciting day (of Class III-IV) without endangering either one.
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

The ME does inspire some amazing levels of confidence. Coming from buttboats about 7 feet long, I can't help but look at a big hole and think "yeah, I can punch that." I just don't want to break it creeking... she is an old boat and the bottom is getting awful thin. Not to mention 15 feet of boat is tough to turn on some of the runs around here.
On a good note, I've almost sold my kayak to open up space/cash for a new boat. Time to up the search for a shorter OC1...
-Anthony