FoxWorx Paddles

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

creek1r
Pain Boater

FoxWorx Paddles

Post by creek1r »

Has anyone had experience with FoxWorx Whitewater 2 or 3 paddles. Durability, good or bad traits.
Thanks
Fleetwalker
C Boater

Re: FoxWorx Paddles

Post by Fleetwalker »

I've used a FoxWorx Whitewater 3 for two seasons. It used to be my main paddle, but I've switched to a ZRE bentshaft racing paddle. I still use the WW3 for playing around and slalom. It is the only curved blade I've ever paddled with, so I don't have much to compare it to.

I really like the paddle. When I got it I thought it was light, but of course it now feels heavy in comparison to the 11oz racing blade. Nevertheless, I expect it is a little heavier than a composite blade of similiar size. However, it's been very durable. Other than wear along the edge, it is in great shape, and it's smacked a few rocks, the side of the boat, the bow paddler's helmet, etc. I personally wish the shaft was a little thinner, but that can be a personal preference thing.

I will also say that FoxWorx is great to deal with. After I'd used my paddle for awhile, I decided I wanted it a little shorter. I emailed Dale about removing the grip and he sent me a new grip for free so I could just cut off the end. I subsequently ordered a blade from him for my daughter for WW racing, and Dale was happy to customize one of their junior bent shafts for us, adding reinforcement and swapping out the pear grip for a t-grip. Despite being dragged around (often literally) by a 6 year old, that paddle is also in great shape. It's only wear is along then shaft where it has been rubbed over and over again along the gunwale of the boat (a 6 year old doesn't have great reach).
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

+1 on foxworx. Company is awesome. But I'm not delusional so I'll list pro's and cons of my paddle,

I use the strait blade. and I suggest spending the $14 to get the dynel tip. Its thin and adds barley no weight, but will keep the tip from splitting, if you wear it down to quickly (like I did as a noob).

Shaft is thick, and stiffer than most wooden paddles I've tried. It adds to durability and weight. Blade is large, has lots of grab but, combined with stiffness can exhasperate fatigue. Altho I didnt notice any on my long day on the Lower Gualey last week.

I refer to it as my beafy blade, (the spoon blade is lighter) it gets me where I need to go, has a lot of grab but some people tell me it's a little sriff/heavy.

The price is great and he built me one to my specs iin just a couple of weeks.
Proud Yankee
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

I picked up a barely used one that I haven't tried yet (it's a WW3). The t-grip is a little small for my liking, but I think I can get over it. The blade looks pretty thin, but I'm willing to give it a shot. I'm thinking I'm going to be doing Gflex repairs on the edge on a regular basis - I'm pretty hard on my paddles.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I'm really hard on paddles and don't like to baby them. Foxworx paddles are among the toughest I've found. They are heavy compared to Galasport or Mitchell paddles, and stiff, but they're also less expensive--the whitewater 3 Foxworx I buy is just $149. I find they have really good catch and power. Shaft and grip are fat--not for small hands. I didn't know about the dynel option and will have to ask for that next time.
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

milkman wrote:I didn't know about the dynel option and will have to ask for that next time.

Its thin, but worth it
Proud Yankee
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

TonyB also had a GIANT T-grip installed on his custom paddle so they can address the small T-grip issue in the custom orders.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

arhdc wrote:TonyB also had a GIANT T-grip installed on his custom paddle so they can address the small T-grip issue in the custom orders.
6" tee grip on request, allows you to hit up a game of Croquet once off the river
Proud Yankee