Helmet Recommendations

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

arhdc
CBoats Addict

Helmet Recommendations

Post by arhdc »

Hey y'all,

I am on a quest to find a decent helmet that fits my oddly shaped round head. Many of the mainstream helmets are just too narrow for my head and some of the ones that are wide enough have large areas that need to be shimmed to make them fit.

I'm also looking for good coverage without being too bulky/cumbersome. If they were still available the Grateful Heads Bomber would be my first choice (PAC's TOG helmet fits like a charm).

f_68503_1.jpg

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Re: Helmet Recommendations

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Plateau makes custom ones... http://www.facebook.com/pages/Plateau-W ... 0048625323" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Few guys on here are running around with them on, can't be half bad.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

PS Composites has the GreatfulHeads molds I beleive - Call Paul & Mary Kay to get a customized lid!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I'll second PS Composites. Give them a call (not e-mail) or stop in and go from there. I don't think there is a larger selection of composite helmet molds in one place on earth.... My helmet was produced by two fellows who worked in a trailer at the old New Wave factory under the "Resin Heads" name. PS was working there too then, but on boats. My helmet needed some upgrades (rivet replacement). Done at no charge...I just covered shipping. And the new ones are stainless steel:)
Keep the C!
Adam
Northwoodsbc
C Boater

Post by Northwoodsbc »

Hey Aaron,

Sounds like you will find what you are looking for at PS Composites.

If that doesn't work out, I bought a Sweet Wanderer this year. My head is round, but not a large, usually medium. Always have trouble with helmet fit. This is the nicest fitting helmet I have ever had for anything. I bought the M/L. I believe they have a L/XL. The helmet has good coverage in back and at the temples. The helmet design is great, it doesn't budge even with the buckle undone. The retention system combined with the part that grips the forehead works awesome.

My only complaint would be that the lining takes a long time to dry.

I would have bought the Sweet Rocker, but looked for a long time and couldn't find one in my size. The Rocker appears to be the same mold, but is composite/plastic whereas the Wanderer is plastic/with a tiny amount of composite. The Rocker also comes with a visor and earpads.

Marcus
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

PAC and Sir Adam already beat me to it. PS Composites is the place to go to for Grateful Heads.

I have a large round head, and it's been a struggle to find a decent helmet. Now that I'm looking for a full face, my options are even more limited. So I sympathize
Chris Loomis
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

Thanks for the advice all.

The WSRI's just don't fit (not wide enough), the Shred Ready Tdub feels like I'm literally wearing a 5 gallon plastic bucket (even though it is composite). The list goes on. There just are not many round helmets out there.

Any advice on getting Paul to make a helmet, the last time we were there he seemed not at all interested in actually making them.
~Aaron~

Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Smurfwarrior wrote:Plateau makes custom ones... http://www.facebook.com/pages/Plateau-W ... 0048625323" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Few guys on here are running around with them on, can't be half bad.
Love my Plateau. Unfortunately, I heard on the river a few weeks ago that he quit making helmets and moved out west.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
horizongfx
CBoats Addict

Post by horizongfx »

Headtrip Helmets also makes some nice lids for people with big Heads too, http://headtriphelmets.com/full-german-helmet.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Waldens ridge also carries headtrip helmets as well, If he dont have the one in stock that you need he could probably special order it for you, too http://waldensridgewhitewater.com/store ... cts_id=420" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For me; boating brings me closer to to something divine, and in a open canoe I'm 8 Inches closer.
...........O
......(___|/____)
............/.............
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

arhdc wrote: the Shred Ready Tdub feels like I'm literally wearing a 5 gallon plastic bucket (even though it is composite).
Even with the fit pads properly adjusted? I've got a large head/lots of hair and after a little fiddling have my T-dub fitting like a glove, or like a good helmet.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
woro90
C Boater

Post by woro90 »

Looking at the Grateful Heads Bomber... And I thought that a whitewater adapation of German steel helmet used in the second world war is only my dream! The shape requirements are the same, though - the rock or shrapnel can come from any direction, more dangerous being ones from sides and behind, more common from top and front, the helmet being worn against objects much slower than a bullet (shrapnel, rocks and debris), to prevent one knocked unconscious by low energy impacts as well as some skull protection in case of a higher-energy blunt object impact or against sharp objects.
Paddle solo, sleep tandem.
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

PS composites is making one in the mold pictured above as we speak. They also have another German military helmet mold that is more true to the original with even more coverage, just it didn't fit my head as well.

I too (obviously by my wanting one) think this is a great shape for a whitewater helmet. It provides good head/ear/occipital coverage without being too over the top to wear.
~Aaron~

arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

Many of you have seen this already but I thought that I'd post a photo anyway. This is a PS Composits helmet out of the Grateful Heads Bomber mold, carbon/kevlar, very sweet.
Attachments
photo.JPG
~Aaron~

ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

t-dub just fits my fat head with all liners removed. I wish the liner were thicker. There is margin above the bottom edge of the helmet to add flotation.