BigDog Force

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Yukon
Yukan Canoe

BigDog Force

Post by Yukon »

Now that the Big Dog Force has been out for a bit on NA shores how are people liking them? Any good reviews out there?
Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Re: BigDog Force

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I wrote a bit of a review a couple months back, but basically its a good boat, great initial stability, handles pretty quick, resurfaces well and it has bomber plastic. Trim it nose light and its not that wet, not a super 'light' boat due to the thickness of the plastic but its a winner. Rolls really easy... The plastic outfitting needs tinkering with, like all outfitting does to be perfect for the individual, but it works well. All and all a solid boat.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Smurf, why do those large air tanks on the sides have drain plugs? What is their function exactly? Water displacement only or are they structural in some way?
jededmon
Pain Boater

Post by jededmon »

I've had one for a few weeks now, and I would mostly agree with Smurf. I really like it so far. It rolls super easy, is pretty stable, resurfaces very well and is relatively dry. I say relatively because it is definitely not as dry as the Ledge with all that volume but I mainly paddle a Fly and it is definitely drier than my Fly.

The down side though is the weight and the outfitting. For being pretty small in general it is really heavy (just over 60 pounds). The outfitting, being all plastic, adds quite a bit of weight, and it is not very adjustable... currently I have only a thin layer of foam over the saddle and it is at 8 inches. I plan on getting rid of the outfitting when I get time and putting in all foam to help with the weight some and get the saddle lower.

So really I think it's a great boat... just not really liking the outfitting.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Cheajack- its for whiskey storage. :)
Actually, I have no idea why those would need drain plugs, maybe someone was worried that they would become cracked and waterlogged. They arn't structural, its a very stiff boat.
creek1r
Pain Boater

Post by creek1r »

Sde tanks have drain plugs because they can and eventually will leak at the screws that hold the tanks in. They used rubber washer and sealant, but one of the tanks in mine leaked thru screw holes. Stock outfitting did not fit me at all so I made all foam saddle/bulkhead and ethafoam tank replacements. Lost 12.5 pounds in process. Included airbags dont fill volume near cockpit very well.
Very stable, paddles well but not as quick/fast as Riot BigGun C1. Do like overall, just wish I hadnt had to reoutfit.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I put the Dog on a diet. Its 48# without pump now and much easier to handle with the real thwarts now. Great boat.
Attachments
DSCF4122.JPG