Wavesport Super EZ as a C1?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

we'll c
C Boater

Wavesport Super EZ as a C1?

Post by we'll c »

Here's another one for you all. How do you think a Super EZ would be as a C1 playboat for a guy that's 150 lbs? I've read a bunch of web info on it and I know that it is big for a playboat (for me) and possibly slow. I'm wondering about it as a compromise between too small and too slow (i.e. a 6', 50 USGal boat I would kayak / play in), and the Small Burn C1 I have now. I like the idea of the 27" width and 7' length on paper, but would love some real-world advice. I should also say that I'm a new (but keen) C1'er and am hoping to "grow into" a playboat.

Looks like I'm not the only northern guy looking for a winter project since the big freeze last month.........a new C1 in the pool might be fun for the next few months!

Cheers,

Bob C.
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

A friend of mine paddles it as a kayak and I once kneeled in it and paddled it on flatwater. It would make a nice riverrunner and good straight on surfer - but it won`t be a "modern" playboat.
imagine
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

pig slow and at 150# you won't sink the ends as easily as you would like.
coloradopaddler
C Guru

Post by coloradopaddler »

I got an ez last summer and really like it. it is really slicey with me in it. i weigh about 165 lbs. and use it mostly as a play boat. i do run rivers with it and it keeps me on my toes. i don't have any experience with the super ez but here is a link of some video with me in my ez for comparison.
http://picasaweb.google.com/10096213699 ... erPaddling#
In a canoe you don't just float down a river: you're part of it- a silent water creature responsive to every surge and flex of current, gliding like a fingertip over a naked green body. "The River Why" David James Duncan
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

I think EJ was the designer of the EZ and he used to paddle it as a C1. That series makes a great C1, although it is not the latest and greatest design.
I have one and lot it.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

it would be terrible at your size. way too big. of course you could make an open boat out of it.....

also, if you ever get the chance to compare the Super EZ to the Big EZ or EZ, the Super is a different hull desgin, not just a scaled up version. I used to have a Big EZ and wish I would have kept it. 'Coldwater' had or maybe still has a Super and looking at them together you can see that they are not the same.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I've got a Big EZ. My weight has been everywhere between 180 & 205 since I've had it. I think you're way light for the Super. Try to find an EZ.

Cons - It's slow. I wouldn't paddle it on anything that requires tough moves. The Ocoee, Savage & Chockoyotte Creek are the most difficult things I've paddled in it. Don't take it to the ocean, if the surf is good you'll never get out. It's plastic.

Pros - It's fun on steep waves. Stern squirts are effortless. It resurfaces quickly & level. Eddy-turns (carved or pivoted) are nice & snappy. It's plastic.
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

slow is a relative term. it's pretty fast compared to newer playboats.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Hey Bob -

Next time you drop in for Earl Grey, bring the Burn. I'll flatten the ends with my truck. Should be perfect!
C'est l'aviron. . . !
we'll c
C Boater

Good Advice

Post by we'll c »

Thanks for all the advice guys! It is helpful. I won't be pursuing the Super EZ, but have a line on a Big EZ - cheap! I know it's still "Big", but I think it would be a good stepping stone on the way to smaller and smaller things (as my skills improve). Might be a good one to have in the quiver too!

Cheers,

Bob
we'll c
C Boater

Bought an EZ

Post by we'll c »

I ended up buying a Wavesport EZ. As many of you pointed out, it's the right size for me. I had a chance to try one in the pool last week, and after a 1 hour temporary C-1 conversion job I had a excellent try with it and liked it a lot. Now it's mine.

Coloradopaddler, I also just bought a Remix 69 that TGG is bringing back from Arizona for me on Tuesday. We seem to be leading parallel lives! I found your video link above to be helpful, and inspirational.

Cheers,

Bob
coloradopaddler
C Guru

Post by coloradopaddler »

glad to hear that you found an ez. i bet you'll love the remix too!
In a canoe you don't just float down a river: you're part of it- a silent water creature responsive to every surge and flex of current, gliding like a fingertip over a naked green body. "The River Why" David James Duncan
Plumbpass
C Boater

Post by Plumbpass »

That's awesome Bob, good to hear!

Have fun!