CHOICES-PLAYBOAT CONVERSION

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

hammerhead
C Guru

CHOICES-PLAYBOAT CONVERSION

Post by hammerhead »

HEY,
Looking for some ideas for a playboat conversions from k-1 to c-1. I am a 225# paddler looking to do some river play/freestyle moves.
Thinking to start a winter project and just want some feedback on some personal boats that worked out well. I will check past posts also, but I was leaning toward some of the newer boats out there.
HELP!?&THANKS...HH
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

What do you want to do in it? Moves wise that is?
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
madmike
C Guru

I am 225 lbs

Post by madmike »

I find my Project 62 works well for play.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

My Necky Orbit Fish was fun, and I found it to be very very roomy on the inside.
kiwic1chick
C Boater

Post by kiwic1chick »

If you've got the money, go for one of the 2010 Jackson star series - I use the All-Star but I'm quite a bit lighter than you (147lb.) It's an awesome boat, way faster than what you'd expect for the length and super smooth. I almost had it cartwheeling in the pool before I converted it - this is kneeling on the k1 seat with no form of straps or outfitting. Personally, I think it makes a better c1 than k1. I'd suggest you look at the Mon-Star, as with these boats you're better off being at the lower end of the weight range rather than the upper.
Any girl can be glamorous. All you have to do is stand still and look stupid. I choose to go paddling.
hammerhead
C Guru

Post by hammerhead »

[quote="TheKrikkitWars"]What do you want to do in it? Moves wise that is?[/quote]

I am looking to do mostly; flat spins, bow stalls & enders. HH
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

hammerhead wrote:
TheKrikkitWars wrote:What do you want to do in it? Moves wise that is?
I am looking to do mostly; flat spins, bow stalls & enders. HH

A wavesport Z may be a good choice if you aren't looking to do a ton of the newer moves. I'm not big enough (165) to get bow stalls in one, but enders and spins are usually not a problem.

I'll throw in another vote for the jackson star series if you can swing it. Even the Fun series would make a killer c1 if you aren't looking for the highest octane of playboating. Both are also capable river runners. Definitely pick the one in which you are more towards the low end of the weight range unless you want to sacrifice some stability/comfort in the name of really being able to throw it around for cartwheels and other moves.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
kiwic1chick
C Boater

Post by kiwic1chick »

A slightly too small boat won't give you a lot of extra throw-around-ability, just extra twitchiness. I paddled a RAD 185 c1 for quite a while, this was 2 whole boat sizes too big for me, but I was still able to flatwater clean cartwheel it. They were pretty low angle cartwheels, but this boat is only one gallon less than my creeker!
My point being, it's easier for a canoeist to throw around a boat that's too big than a kayaker.
Any girl can be glamorous. All you have to do is stand still and look stupid. I choose to go paddling.
john h
c

Post by john h »

is there a big difference between the 2010 star series and the previous ones? i get the sense that people seem to talk about the 2010 line specifically.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Very big difference in 2009-2010 Jackson Stars. Newer model is shorter with more volume
john h
c

Post by john h »

cool..how does that change it as a c1 in comparison with the older models?
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

I would assume that the big differences are that it gets up into cartwheels/bow-stalls more easily (decreased length), is more poppy for executing aerial moves, and is less likely to do "mystery moves" when paddling down river (both of these due to higher volume)

Shep
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

the new stars are wider too right!
hammerhead
C Guru

Post by hammerhead »

GUYS
Thanks for the advice & ideas, think i'll give Jackson a call.
HH
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Hey guys and how about the new 2010 fun for a riverplay? Specs looks nice I was thinking of the 4fun... Maybe I should have started this in another thread.
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o