New Conversion Pedestal

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Larry Horne
C Maven

New Conversion Pedestal

Post by Larry Horne »

I've been working on this project for a while and finally have something to show y'all. If any Industry types steal this.. I will f-ing hunt. you. down. :evil:

What I have made is a composite saddle based heavily on the Dagger pedestal. I've stolen, tweeeked and updated the Dagger design to fit modern creekboats better. I will soon see how it fits in a playboat.

I have built a mold, and will be making another small batch in the near future. This one is a s-glass layup. The next versions will be vacuum bagged carbon fiber/s-glass and should be very pretty and light.

Those of you that use a Dagger know the benefits of quick and easy boat set-up and never having to shape foam again once you get it dialed. Problem is those things are getting to be quite rare now adays...

Some of the improvements over the Dagger saddle:

1. Extra length to engage the rear pillar better.

2. Narrower saddle base. This is important to me because I do a lot of multi-day trips and this will make it easier to get the gear bags in and out. Also, I'm not a fan of a big fat saddle because I want my feet to come out easy and I really don't think a wide sadddle is more comfortable (i ride bicycles and find those saddles comfy). But hey, if you want fat you can put in on there.

3. Multiple knee and thigh strap anchor points that are threaded. Super easy set-up and quick adjustment...No more fishing for nuts! All you need is a phillips screwdriver to move straps.

4. Contoured in rocker and profile to fit the hull better than, say, a fence rail.

5. Can easily be set up for a one pull system.

6. Last but not least...It's available!

Check it out while I go try to break it. 8)
nevermind the color... :-?

Larry
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Pedestal

Post by Mikey B »

Looks very nice!!!!
Really well thought out design Larry!
How much money we talking :D ?
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Post by OC1er »

Really looks good Larry, are you planning on making them available? I wants one! Love the tapped anchor points...
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
TomAnon
C Guru

Post by TomAnon »

That looks really nice. I have hull sitting outback that I would love to try it on. Do you have an Opening Price Point in mind yet?

If worried make sure you indicate a trademark is in process and sign and date all your work. It is the quickest way to protect yourself.

If the anchors are threaded I guess that means the backside is reinforced. Nice...

Again, nice job,

Tom
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

great job, looks nice.

as mentioned i'd be careful about using captured nuts in plastic, as they have a tendency to spin.

gonna make life easier for alot of people
Joe
Berkshire Jack
Pain Boater

Post by Berkshire Jack »

Larry,
That looks great! :D I have just bought a Pyranha Burn shell for creeking and will be starting my outfitting soon. Will you be starting your production in the near future? Do you have a price in mind? Will you ship out to the East Coast? Don't keep us in suspense.

Jack
C1-er
edg
C Guru

Pedestal

Post by edg »

Larry- That is an outstanding piece of work. Hats off...edg
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Thanks for the compliments.
The nuts are stainless steel locknuts, glassed in. Twisting is a concern. They seem fine, but once i get grime and sand in the boat, it may be too much. I have other options if they don't work.
I'm going to be making a couple of carbon versions for the cali team to test and try to break before I ship anything out.
As to how much? I'm still working out my cost on them, but I can say this- This is a hobby. I won't make anything for my labor and they still won't be cheap.
Larry
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Very nice!
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

let me know when they are available I want one!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
mattr
c

Post by mattr »

I think the baby blue colour just adds to the awesomeness of the whole setup. Your pro-team is anxiously awaiting prototypes for beta testing.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I don't like premade saddles, but the way that branches out to provide extra support to the hull where the seat would looks awesome, It's how I've broken several boats.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Larry Horne wrote:The nuts are stainless steel locknuts, glassed in. Twisting is a concern. They seem fine, but once i get grime and sand in the boat, it may be too much. I have other options if they don't work.
You could always drill and tap all the holes for one side in a strip of aluminum plate and glass that in on the back side as opposed to individual nuts. You wouldn't have the nylon locking feature, but it would be light, and if the threads ever stripped, it could be drilled and tapped larger or helicoiled.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Todhunter- I thought of that, (and have made them in the past) but I really want locking nuts...having a thigh strap bolt fall out at the wrong time really sucks. Trust me on that :o

I tested these nuts by damaging the threads on a bolt and forcing it in..as hard as I could with a hand held screwdriver...and the nut didn't twist. I'm sure an impact gun would break something, but if you use a tool like that for a job this this you deserve broken parts :wink:

Krikkit- thanks (i think)
Larry
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Larry Horne wrote:Krikkit- thanks (i think)
You're very much welcome, I'm not sold on the idea of dagger saddles, but regardless of that I think this is a clear improvement.

I'd be all over a flat plate version with centered bolts and the lugs to connect with the center pillars.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)