canoe induced calcification along toe joint

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

slick
C Boater

canoe induced calcification along toe joint

Post by slick »

Open boating has caused some calcification to accumulate on my big toe. I paddle with the balls of my feet on the footpegs. My toes bend forward on the hull like a runner on starting blocks. So I have developed a big lump on the outside side of the big toe, right at the knuckle. The doctor called it "exostosis" and offered to remove it. Has anyone here had this malady? and the surgery? --Tom
SkeeterGuy86
Select Paddles Sponsored Paddler

Post by SkeeterGuy86 »

i have this growth to but not on my toes... i havent had the surgery i have just learned to live with the growths
SG86

here in the south east god paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers ~ oc1paddlr

http://select-kayaks.com/en/paddles/canoe-raft/c1/
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

Post by oc1paddlr »

tom slick
does the doc say this is a result from open boating?
how long have you boated and what caused this to happen to you and not many others?
paddlr
red boat ready
jcsieck
C Boater

Calcium buildup

Post by jcsieck »

Tom I have had the same problem for quite a few years. Although I can't blame it on canoeing it was something that just comes with age.
After having surgery and an artificial joint installed in my big toe I have done much better in general. I also had the surgeon make me a pair of rigid insoles for my paddling shoes that keep my toes from bending backwards on the foot pegs and i find I can't paddle much without them, They really do the job for me. I have also found I don't have to keep alot of pressure on the foot pegs. I just barley touch the pegs when I am paddling but they are right there when I need them. This also keeps my legs from cramping. You have to be comfortable in whatever your paddling.

Good luck
Joe
eckilson
c

Re: Calcium buildup

Post by eckilson »

My father had the surgery on a couple of joints in his foot. He was a pretty active paddler at the time, but I never remember him saying it was caused by paddling. He had no problems with the surgery.
Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

I've got this problem! I've got it where my big toes meet my feet, and it's more pronounced on the right foot.

Never had anyone look at it (doctors, that is. When I go barefoot in public, plenty of people look at it -- with horror!)

But they've never boofed offside . . .

Cheers,

AB
biggreenjefe
C Boater

Post by biggreenjefe »

I have the same growth on my left big toe and it is definitely due to paddling. I also paddle with my feet in the same position. Among other things, I know this is also one of the reasons Bailey Johnson doesn't paddle so much any more. He told me the pain is too great for several days after when he does paddle.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

same here...

While not a growth, but get bad inflammation in that same joint on the Big Toe. As a result I back off on the footbraces and tighten up when anticipating a need. Also (as said b4) wearing shoes with some sort of support on the bottom really seems to help, as I paddle toes up (as opposed to feet down flat). Ignoring the pain will eventually, result in it radiating all the way throughout the balls of my feet (ouch-ouch-ouch). However wearing shoes (even hard booties) with some support and backing off some of the tension, really seems to have help stop the problem.
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

Post by oc1paddlr »

another problem with our big toe is gout. not a calcium but an acid build up. still a major pain.
paddlr
red boat ready
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

i wondered what that thing on my big toe was. i thought it might could be something like that. its bad when you're basing medical diagnosis on william nealy cartoons, but now that it's been confirmed by the internet......

now if i could just start hitting my offside boof. nothing worse than a snotty kayaker asking if you ever take cross strokes after another flubbed line at super boof....or the right line at national...
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

The only bony growth I've got - that I'm aware of - is in my ears*. I keep my feet flat on the floor of the boat with my toes under the pegs (in OC-1). I wonder if that makes a difference? The two joints of my big toes do tend to pop but are not uncomfortable. Sometimes my ankles pop, too, but there isn't any pain there either.

* Yes, I am aware of the opportunities for humor here.
coloradopaddler
C Guru

bony growth?

Post by coloradopaddler »

after paddling oc-1 for quite a few years i noticed a bump on top of my foot. i'm not in my toe blocks unless i need to be so my feet were flat on the hull most of the time. the doc told me that the bone develops additional protection for itself. i had them cut away the bone spur and kept paddling. now they are on both feet and there isn't any use to have them removed because they are just going to develop again.
slick
C Boater

re: canoe induced calcification along toe joint

Post by slick »

oc1paddlr:

> does the doc say this is a result from open boating?

Doc watched me kneel on the examination room floor and demonstrate my canoeing posture. That precluded any further discussion of the cause. Then again, I don't think he cared all that much how it happened. He looked at an x-ray and was ready to fire up the loppers.

> how long have you boated and what caused this to
> happen to you and not many others?

30-40 days/yr for 12 yrs. But maybe only 2/3rds of that on footpegs.

You got me...I don't know how prevalent the condition is. Open boating is not, and within that, I gather the toe-forward stance is not.

The pain is gradually getting worse. The blessing/curse is, it feels fine only when boating.

Thanks for all the replies. --Tom[/quote]
icyone
C Guru

Toe exostosis ; "Twelve toes"

Post by icyone »

We used to be quite proud of them because it proved you spent a lot of time training in your boat. The C-1 exostosis on top of the big toe joint was referred to as "Twelve-toes"; being called "Twelve-toes" meant everyone knew you were truly hard-core.

The ear exostosis is supposed to be caused by lots of cold water immersion; small ones just interfere with earplugs and ear buds. It is better to wear ear plugs if you can tho because I hear that having to have one fixed surgically is extremely unpleasant, and also interferes with paddling for a while afterward.
slick
C Boater

Re: Toe exostosis ; "Twelve toes"

Post by slick »

[quote="icyone"]
> being called "Twelve-toes" meant everyone knew you were truly hard-core.

I haven't earned that honor yet but my given first name is Thomas. I think that's spanish for "more toe".