Mentor (plug) VS Acrobat (Master cut)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Mentor (plug) VS Acrobat (Master cut)

Post by Sir Adam »

Now that a number of you have seen my "master cut" Acrobat in person, this may be more meaningful. For those that have not, the Acrobat in question is 'low cut' for 185, so for my 160lbs or so it's more of a cruiser, but really good fun 8) .

I will be interested to see what the volume of each of these are, once I finally build a Mentor (the mold will be started this week it appears:) ).

Image Image
Bow and Stern profiles

ImageImage

The center of the boat, profile and top view

ImageImage

From the bow again....
Keep the C!
Adam
Aric
Pain Boater

mentor

Post by Aric »

wow Adam,
that's going to be one low volume boat! looks like fun! What do you see the full cut fitting?
I was able to sink my acrobat for the first time on fri, the boat only about a foot under, but its a start. I look forward to tying a mentor

Aric
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Very nice Adam. Keep it real and moving forward. We're hoping for the very best for you're little toy! :wink: Paul C.
Last edited by PAC on Wed May 02, 2007 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

That looks GREAT! Thanks for the side by side comparison. Without the concavities, it would appear to be close in volume to the master cut Acro, but I think the dips have fixed that problem.

Someone said "you end up chasing your chop, so you end up w/ this really low cut boat & then you're there"
jim gross
CBoats Addict

boat design

Post by jim gross »

Adam i see alot of take off from the acrobat in the deck. I will be very curious to find out the performance characteristics of the angular hull. God i hate pulling a mold. Always pulled 1 offs before i went to the exspense of a mold. You deserve a pat on the back for all the hard work. Well maybe i will fit in your boat when it,s done, i,m down another 5 lbs since the armada. HAHAHA. JIM
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Jim, these shots don't really show the cancavities in the deck of the Mentor.

5 lbs in 3 days :o Loosing weight is no way to excell in squirt boating :wink:
jim gross
CBoats Addict

squirt boating

Post by jim gross »

Hey does that thar squirt boat thingie come with a bilge pump ? or do i need to bring ma bleach bottle? JIM
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: squirt boating

Post by sbroam »

jim gross wrote:Hey does that thar squirt boat thingie come with a bilge pump ? or do i need to bring ma bleach bottle? JIM
An eye dropper should do...
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

What's the status of the Mentor? Yeah, I just had a Sith built & my wife will have a duck when I get the next boat, but she'll get over it. Just how many pairs of shoes does she have anyway? :roll:
huge
C Boater

Boat to shoe ratio

Post by huge »

Don't know about you Mike, but in my house it's 30 pair of shoes = 6 boats. How was WOR? Lack of rain and last minute work emergencies kept me from getting out much that week.
And finally a question for Sir Adam regarding the Mentor. Is the widest part of the boat in the center, or behind the paddler like most boats. Does anyone have any idea why the widest part of the boat is typically behind the paddler? Inquiring minds want to know.

huge
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Well..

Post by Sir Adam »

half the mold is done. Since it's bled into the summer, it will be a while.... So far so good, though!

The Mentor, unlike other boats, is an even width from just in front of the knees to the toes...thereby giving us room to sit!

Slalom boats seem to have develped this "cab forward" style over time..methinks it may be from a higher volume bow (shed water), and lower volume stern (pivot turn), yet needing the boat to trim properly. Not sure though!

FWIW, I have in mind building three Mentor's right off the bat - a full cut (nothing taken out), a complete cut (not being able to take much more out...likely around 1"), and a test bed for an idea I have (top secret at the moment...let's just say it's an offshoot of something Jimi and I talked about, as well as Paul).

I'm hoping for an early September squirt armada up in these parts:) Anyone up for labor day weekend or the week after?
Keep the C!
Adam
jim gross
CBoats Addict

Width

Post by jim gross »

Slolom boats put their widest point ( the wings) right behind the paddler as this is the most out of the way place for it. Otherwise they would get in the way of forward strokes. Most paddlers also paddle with a laxidasical paddleing stance. They lean rearward or fail to lean forward as much as is beneficial. Our lazy paddleing style is an unintentional bennifactor of width behind the pedistal. JIM
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Re: Well..

Post by RodeoClown »

Sir Adam wrote: and a test bed for an idea I have (top secret at the moment...let's just say it's an offshoot of something Jimi and I talked about, as well as Paul).
Are you thinking about doing holes through the boat?? That's something I've been considering for the squirtboat after the boat I do after I finish the one I've been working on for the past 3 years (that's 2 boats away for those that lost track). Which will be just before I try my hand at building a c-1 squirt (that's 3 boats away...)
jim gross
CBoats Addict

AAAAh HAHAHAHA

Post by jim gross »

HAHAHAH, large sinking holes in the boat. dam i have been thinking about doing that to my wood boat if the volume is too high. JIM
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Adam, Thanks for the update :D Thanks for all that you do! At my weight, I'm thinking I'll want a full cut.

Top secret huh? Cool. This is gonna be good 8)

Huge, WOR was almost a total bust for me this year. I drove out on Wednesday, paddled the Sith on the Pigeon on Thursday, then Jim, Scott & I did single blade rolling & squirt-boat demos on the lake Thursday night. Scott did teach a 'yaker to roll C-1 :D I broke my toe & couldn't get back into the boat :cry: I left Saturday after selling the Forplay on Friday night. Last night I kneeled on the floor & it didn't hurt too badly. I'm going to the river in the morning. After reading this, I guess it wasn't so bad after all :)