Newbie from the North Woods

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

redneckdan
c

Newbie from the North Woods

Post by redneckdan »

Hi all y'all!

I ordered an Octane 91. Looking forward to giving this OC1 thing a try! I have a little bit of experience in moving water. Canoe tripping, IK, rafting both paddle and oar boats, mckenzie boats, K1, C1; not real deep into anything particular but a little bit of each. I have more training in swiftwater rescue than actually recreating on swift water. So I'm looking for some education opportunies with regard to OC1. I live about an hour north of Duluth, MN. I can't make ALF this year but its already on my calendar for next year!
kona
c

Re: Newbie from the North Woods

Post by kona »

Another OC Dan...seems like many canoeists around MN are either Dave or Dan. Congrats on the new boat. Glad to have another open boater around.

One option for instruction: https://rapidsriders.org/canoeu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think most or all of the cost goes to food and lodging, maybe some to ACA membership, See you on the water
redneckdan
c

Post by redneckdan »

Yeah I stumbled across the rapid riders in my search for information on the Octane. I'm interested but I'm not sure if they will waive the pool night requirement. It'd be about a 4 hour drive for me, one way.
kona
c

Post by kona »

Surely they would. Also check FB for the group Midwest Whitewater Canoeing.
redneckdan
c

Post by redneckdan »

Octane 91 arrived Thursday.

Any advice on fitting the bulk head? I started with working the knees, then took about an inch out of the back rest. My nuts are still about 3 inches from the front vertical of the saddle and I can't quite sit on the saddle yet. I feel like my knees could go in further but they won't. I feel pressure on the top of my thighs and inside of knees. Did some more trimming in those areas but didn't seem to really allow me to get further into the saddle. I'm 6-2 220lbs, 34" inseam.
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

Use a bread knife and rasp in the knee hooks. Be careful about taking too much off the backrest. It’s easier but will move your balance point to stern heavy. Work it little by little. Smooth the foam with fine sandpaper
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Ditto on carving any more out of the back--what you did was probably enough. Keep sitting in the canoe, feeling where there is pressure on your legs that is keeping you from sinking in all the way, and trimming the foam accordingly. Eventually you'll get there--a perfect custom fit.
redneckdan
c

Post by redneckdan »

Worked on it for a few more hours tonight. On the bright side, I'm getting pretty good at getting in and out of it. I have it to the point it's reasonably comfortable in jeans and street shoes. I'll probably find a pool and try it like this for a bit before I hack much more out. I cut out at least a shopping bag worth of foam. I can snap my hips and the boat is pretty well stuck to me.
heavy d
C Boater

Post by heavy d »

good stuff dan,
add some hip pads, they are more like thigh pads and you should be real snug.
https://youtu.be/SfORNFa3pxw
good luck,
d
redneckdan
c

Post by redneckdan »

Yeah I stumbled across that video yesterday. Anyone know where to order minicell foam blocks from?
rainfoot
Pain Boater

Post by rainfoot »

https://www.mohawkcanoes.com/collections/foam-parts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lot'sa foam on the ol' interwebs
OC1 spoken here.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

or check our Links section (which admitted hasn't been gone through in ages...)...

http://kayakoutfitting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (don't hold their name against them... Eric Zitzow is great to deal with and an awesome squirt boater...even if he does use 2 blades...).
Keep the C!
Adam
redneckdan
c

Post by redneckdan »

I ended up ordering some 12"x12" 3" thick blocks from NRS, added a new throw rope to the order to make the minimium. Need to source some contact cement locally yet.
heavy d
C Boater

Post by heavy d »

any hardware store worth a lick will have contact cement.
d
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

I'd be happy to work with you on paddling tech - sounds like you've got the outfitting started at this point. I don't know if anyone is ever done outfitting, seems like I keep lowering my saddles and creating a more secure set up. I paddled OC for a long time, but moved to C1, and then got into slalom...
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.