Considering another Black Fly

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Considering another Black Fly

Post by chuck naill »

The new tandem Octane could not have been a better performer for us this past weekend. The boat is heavy outside the water, but nimble and quick in the current. I also feel the boat is made to be used and thick. I am impressed.

We are considering the Option (I've just sent Jeremy an email), but am curious if the shorter Octane is a better solo product. Please advise.
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Re: Considering another Black Fly

Post by pblanc »

I have been paddling an Octane 85 for the last couple of years. I have paddled an Option several times. For the type of paddling I do (general river running) I prefer the Octane.

I am used to paddling longer boats with some edge and the Octane has more edge than the Option which feels rather "loose" to me. The Octane has better directional stability on ferries and other upstream moves. I feel that it is somewhat faster than the Option, although others feel differently.

I think if you are into hard core creeking, a lot of boofing and rockspins, the Option might be the better choice. Its more rounded ends seem to slide off and over rocks more easily and it seems to have somewhat thicker plastic than the Octane.
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Post by chuck naill »

I had not heard the Option had thicker hulls. Seems just the opposite given the weight of the "big octane".
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

The Option and Octane 85 are very similar dimensionally. Yet the Octane 85 weighs 4 lbs less.

The Octane 91 of course is considerably heavier since it is 6 1/2 inches longer and 3 1/4 inches wider. The Octane 92 would weigh more still due to the double bulkhead/pedestal.