curious about c1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

GSG
Pain Boater

Re: curious about c1

Post by GSG »

Nice vids Buster! I just ran Canyon creek last week. Possibly the most fun I've ever had on a river, even with my nearly non-existent offside boof. Swizzle Sticks got me too... Paul posted a vid showing my failed attempt.
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

That's awesome. I saw Paul's video and wondered who the mystery C-boater was. Canyon is great. Swizzle Sticks gets harder as the water gets lower. Looks like you nailed the roll though!
GSG
Pain Boater

Post by GSG »

Yeah, I missed the "lean right" part when we were given the beta and the rock thwarted my first roll. It's not often I miss a roll. The rest of the run went pretty well other than a swim out of hammering spot.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Busterblue, great videos

Wodza, nice outfitting. How does the saddle stick to the centre rail?
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wodza
C Guru

Post by Wodza »

Velcro right now. I also have foam behind the saddle connecting to the foam pillar and cockpit rim now (not shown in picture) This keeps the backrest from bending making a tighter fit. I will eventually use construction adhesive to glue it down but thought it would be nice have it adjustable for now to practice bow stalls.
Rand C1
C Guru

Post by Rand C1 »

C1: alot easier to roll , much warmer, be aware you will no longer be an an open boater, and kayakers wont get you either
OC1: looks cool, better ride(you get popped higher), can crash bigger holes, more room for stuff, looks like a normal canoe

Rand

I paddle a Fink and it is a bit harder to get out of than an open boat
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Perhaps the experience of somebody who is not a regular C-1er and doesn't paddle class IV is most relevant? Some of the opinions offered might be true only after a good amount of experience, but from somebody who's paddling infrequently and has trouble being physically comfortable in C-1s, here's some contrary opinions:

- I don't find C-1s warmer - I'm in the water/splash more, and more likely to flip; I know I could stay dry & cozy in my open boat

- I don't find them more fun or playful - because I'm uncomfortable and nervous in the C-1, I paddle way more defensively, taking easy lines and bracing; my more-stable OC allows me to look for trouble and surf much more

- I don't find C-1s easier to roll - I'm used to my OC and the twitchy little C-1s 'follow me around too much' in the water if I'm trying to find my set-up position; I like the purchase I get of my OC anchor

- I don't find C-1s cheaper - having trouble fitting my big-legged 225 lbs into a C-1, I've thrown money at several different dust-collecting hulls; open boats are way easier to re-sell

I could probably argue against most ofthe "pros" that have been offered by C-1 lovers. I'm a hater, but I conced they are different, manouverable, and advance the learning curve, etc., which is why I wanted to try it. For more, you might want to search the forum for an old thread of mine called something like "I don't like like C-1"... . Maybe this season and the next hull (Super EZ) will be better :roll:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7964527&hilit=redline+fink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers, Pat
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

Pat, what C1's have you spent time in and what boat do you paddle normally?

There are enough hull designs in different sizes that anyone should be able find a C1 that will work for them.

My only experience with C1 has been in play boats…. my advice here is that you want to be at the bottom of the weight range, NOT the top.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I'm 220lbs, thick legs, not at all flexible. Paddle an Ocoee, on pretty gentle II + and III rivers.

With jacked-up rims I thought a Score and then Redline were OK in the pool, but I wasn't comfortable in the river. Now trying a Fink and Super EZ, which have more potential for me, but I paddle so infrequently that it's hardly worth dabbling in anything new anyway.

I didn't go straight for big creek boats, because if I was trying C-1 I wanted it too be different from open boating, so I could get the feel of a small hull and maybe throw some ends around. Paddling something like a Cascade felt too similar to OC, but with all the hassle of tiresome exit & entry.

Pat.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

I tried C1 (a brand new Atom) after 7 or 8 years in OC. While running big drops and staying dry in an OC was tons of fun. Having to bail when random class two waves crash over the gunwale was NOT. It was before pumps and I was just tired of it.

In the Atom I found myself really struggling with the same class IV that I was very comfortable with in an OC, but it was still way more fun for me so I stuck with it and tried a couple of conversions. It took a while for me to find the right boat. When I did, it was heaven, and there was no looking back.

OCs are a fun ride but it's all surface. C1 can go sub surface, offering another dimension.

C1s are cheaper, drier, warmer (Pat, seriously??? :wink: ), easier to play, easier to run standard lines (the ones with water..rather than the sieved out sneak) easier to carry (on the shoulder and the car), and quite easy to pack and carry overnight gear.
Larry
JimW
C Guru

Post by JimW »

Pat - I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling to really get into C1!

My problem is almost certainly that I'm switching between an Ocoee and Maverick, the latter of which is a bit low volume for me. I was thinking about converting my Session+ now that I've reverted to my Glide for kayak playboating, but I'm really too heavy for both of those as kayaks (220 on a good day) so reading advice on C1 playboats above I might not bother. Probably time to start gluing foam onto my cut-down to add the extra volume I need.....
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

Pat, you clearly possess two virtues that are perfect for C1: tenacity and masochism :D

But, seriously, there are many options on the spectrum between the Cascade and kayak play boats. I'm sure you could find something that's sporty while being stable enough to paddle with confidence. For me, that's the Remix 79. I hope the Super EZ works out! I've paddled undersized kayak conversions and it sucked hard.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

you clearly possess two virtues that are perfect for C1: tenacity and masochism
Great. Part way there. Too bad I don't possess any time, talent or guts - I think one needs 3 of the 5 to have a chance at enjoying C-1ing!

P.
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

yarnellboat wrote:
you clearly possess two virtues that are perfect for C1: tenacity and masochism
Great. Part way there. Too bad I don't possess any time, talent or guts - I think one needs 3 of the 5 to have a chance at enjoying C-1ing!

P.
Being a coward, and possessed of not much talent, I've always compensated with lots of time (i.e. practice). I paddle slalom boats, and every year there is a several-weeks transition into regaining that one-with-the-boat feeling. I try to get out several times a week for the process. And I've been paddling C1 for 35 years. Some paddlers don't need that acclimation. (I hate them. :wink: )

As far as being comfortable, in the off season, I meditate in a kneeling position to keep everything properly stretched out. It still takes a while to fully recover some of the muscles necessary for complete stability.
Bob P